Taking An Important Step

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Haibun Monday, “Winds of Change”
(posted by HAYESSPENCER)
“I want you to pay attention to how you feel, how you react to change, how you grow or how you become less due to changes.”

The idea of change, at times, raises my anxiety
level. One specific example  is having to leave a job
I loved after a merger, and seek new employment.
Thoughts ranged  from, ‘I will not know anyone,
what  if my work is unsatisfactory,’ to, ‘I will not be able
to go on  an interview, or get past that first day.’ I managed
to overcome  my fears, and learned I could accept change,
whether I embraced  it or not. That is an important lesson.

Can it be–
caterpillar to butterfly
an anxious time?

11 Responses to Taking An Important Step

1. That fear is something to overcome… But embracing, hardly… Love the haiku.

2. kim881 says:

I used to know that fear. The last time I had it was when I retired. Now I do feel like a butterfly, free to flutter where I want to.

3. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Love the idea of embracing change.. ❤ though we all feel the enormous amount of anxiety and pressure 🙂 Lovely haibun, Sara

4. Anxiety and excitement are so closely linked. Some of it is to do with how we choose to experience it. I’m sure some butterflies are more on the anxious end of the spectrum and some more on the excited end of the spectrum! It’s a beautiful analogy, with the promise of wing-spreading and flight at the end…

5. Bryan Ens says:

That haiku is brilliant! Love that you bring out that we can accept change, even when it is not for the better.

6. I’ve often wondered if the caterpillar knows what’s going on, or just does what it is designed to do naturally. Then, I think our greatest human blessing is also our greatest fault – we think too much. Love your haiku!

7. Grace says:

I can relate to that anxiety as well Sara. I love the beautiful metaphor of the butterfly’s transformation. Love your haibun.

8. whimsygizmo says:

I think maybe that caterpillar just gets to sleep, whereas we must fret over change. Who knows, though. Maybe its dreams are tumult? 😉 Well done.

Well done Sara! Bravo to you for acceppting and movung on in spite of anxieties. I love the haiku and how it moved the haibun along, perffectly.

10. Mish says:

Going through this right now…and wondering where my wings will take me…or if I can grow wings. The butterfly is a beautiful example of transformation and hope.

11. We all have those anxieties, but with hope and faith, we push past them. Nice job.

Liked by 1 person