Looking At Space

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads:  Flash 55 Plus!  “Space”
Write a piece of poetry or prose on a subject of your choice in precisely 55 WORDS.
Today’s optional extra bit of inspiration for your 55-worder is the concept of SPACE.

Space narrows.
Land never lies fallow for long.
Population bursts, construction
booms. Dwellings come in all
sizes, newest trend–tiny houses.
I would rather see, feel, and breathe
space outdoors, than to live
in a spacious home where trees,
birds, parks, and wildlife cannot
exist. There is a world out there,
not to be missed.

17 Responses to Looking At Space

1. Helen Dehner says:

By chance, from my living room I can hear an HGTV host talking about a tiny house sitting on two acres with trees, a stream and mountains in the distance. My idea of heaven. I enjoyed this Sara.

2. I need that space outside too… and I could live with less if just I didn’t have so many things…

3. Kerry O'Connor says:

I have to agree with you. I need my space.

Liked by 1 person

4. love the paradox here of how we take up outer space by creating inner space

Liked by 1 person

5. ManicDdaily says:

Yes. Too much with the building! Thanks. k.

Liked by 1 person

Nice poem, Sarah, with wistful thoughts. Our home is six years old, five when we got it. Before this was all prairie or rice fields or pasture. Our street is named Cinco Forest Trail, the trail is cement and the forest is two oak trees and a magnolia tree, and a few in the back yard, planted when the landscaping was put in. Do you remember the song,
    Big Yellow Taxi?” I.e. “Put up a parking lot.” An oldie of 1970, but it has been going on before and since.
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot
    With a pink hotel *, a boutique
    And a swinging hot spot

Don’t it always seem to go
    That you don’t know what you’ve got
    Till it’s gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
    Put ’em in a tree museum *
    And they charged the people
    A dollar and a half just to see ’em

(more)…”

7. Love those tiny homes – maybe a bit too small for me but I love small – and the out of doors with a nice porch … sigh. Not to be missed – for sure.

Liked by 1 person

8. I agree with you Sara. I need to see the mountains in the distance – space to breathe fresh air.

9. othermary says:

I agree! It’s getting crowded here!

Liked by 1 person