Covered Bridges

Written for:  dVerse Poets:  Haibun Monday #24, Bridges   (posted by Grace)
Hello everyone!   In my autumn walk last week, I came upon the wooden bridge overlooking the creek.   I marvelled how one can go from one side of the bridge, cross over  to the other side and have a different view of the landscape shimmering with autumn colors.  So for this haibun challenge, write about the bridge from the first person- either as a physical object, metaphor or perhaps a person who has been a bridge in your life. As its also halloween, you can write about that bridge between life and death.   Let’s use the bridge of our imagination!

We are called covered bridges for a reason.  We try to blend in with our
surroundings. People gawk at us, trample our feet, and often leave
garbage. Really? Where were you brought up? When we are well cared for,
our rooftops clean, and our feet polished, we will be cordial as cherry pie.
Many of us are now closed or inaccessible. We prefer being a part of nature.

black and white
‘neath cover of wooden bridge
raccoon family

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Covered Bridges

1. Uttley says:

I had forgotten that bridges have feet!

Liked by 1 person

2. The little family is a beautiful example of how nature regains its power.

Liked by 1 person

3. MarinaSofia says:

How sad that these covered bridges have to be closed down because of the people not treating them properly. A short, conversational poem, with a dash of humour and a lovely lasting image of the furry family.

4. Brian says:

Quaint I am often called. I pose for portraits with families and instead of asking me questions I hear. ‘This is boring, can we go now.’

Liked by 1 person

5. Grace says:

Those old bridges covered with nature are just amazing to see; like an art in itself ~ Its a pity its now closed and inaccessible ~ But I like its now a place for the racoon family 🙂

6. ladynyo says:

A short admonishment from a bridge! LOL! This was new….and the family of raccoons beneath is a wonderful touch of nature. Great haiku!

Liked by 1 person

7. I love those old bridges and because no one ‘official’ is willing to take responsibility for them it is always a spirited bunch of volunteers who maintain and repair the local natural bridge for everyone to enjoy.

Liked by 1 person

8. Those covered bridges are so picturesque. I love the snug little raccoon family there.

Liked by 1 person

9. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

Nice to read from that point of view. And fascinating to me, as I only know about covered bridges from stories and pictures – and now poems.