Never Lose That Loving Feeling

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Fear
When is fear helpful, harmful, present, banished? How do you know what to do with fear?

YOUR CHALLENGE: In a new poem, unfold a truth you’ve learned about fear.

“We are so scared of being judged that we look for every excuse to procrastinate.”
― Erica Jong, Seducing the Demon

She feared life of sorrow each time a man
broke her heart, let her down, and loved someone new.
After failed romances, commitments were banned.
For years she tried to conquer her fears in lieu

of observing how she saw herself.
Realization came; she felt incomplete.
How foolish, she thought, to put dreams on a shelf.
She was whole, did not need another heartbeat.

Love is a gamble you may lose in the end
but that rush of blood from falling in love
is worth risking pain; you are certain to mend.
If you know yourself, you have wings of a dove.

Nurture yourself, feel goodness within,
whenever you decide to go out on a limb.

14 Responses to Never Lose That Loving Feeling

1. Sumana Roy says:

“….falling in love / is worth risking pain;” wow, a fearless pronunciation indeed and very positive 🙂

2. Susan says:

I like that turn-around stanza:
    “Realization came; she felt incomplete.
    How foolish, she thought, to put dreams on a shelf.”
    Definitely have that goodness within. I love how this poem encourages us to love ourselves!

3. Mary says:

Indeed, I think we can and must fight the fear….and know that she is indeed whole in herself, does not need anything / anyone else to complete her. Whether or not a love works out, she must remember that!!

4. Love is a gamble you may lose in the end
    but that rush of blood from falling in love
    is worth risking pain; you are certain to mend.
    If you know yourself, you have wings of a dove.

Love this!!❤️

5. erbiage says:

Perhaps love has very little to do with some other person? Spread your wings and fly, dove!

6. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

This seems a bit ambivalent to me – but then I guess that falling in love and being happy with oneself are both worth experiencing.

7. magicalmysticalteacher says:

Deciding to go out on a limb is often frightening, but often rewarding as well.