Loss

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub:  Meeting The Bar~Prose Poetry  (posted by Frank Hubeny)
“I assume, perhaps naively, that a prose poem uses fewer line breaks than one would use in free verse. I assume its content is less like a narrative than flash fiction. I assume it doesn’t rhyme nor does it have a metrical rhythm like formal poetry. A haibun, as a mixture of prose and poetry, could be considered a prose poem.”

Someone close to you
is gone, and you are afraid.
Afraid you will not be able
to keep fresh those black
and white moments–mind snapshots,
of each scene, every spoken word
that touched you. Will photographs
be enough? Will you always be
capable of conjuring up
that face in your mind?
Someone close to you is gone,
and you are afraid.

24 Responses to Loss

1. frankhubeny says:

I assume my memory would not be able to keep those “mind snapshots” fresh for long. I can see how that would be one source of fear.

2. What memory can capture absence better than a scent?

3. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

A beautiful piece of writing, whatever we label it.

4. Kerry O'Connor says:

Loss comes in many forms.

Liked by 1 person

5. Memories of loss conjur up strong emotions. You’ve captured them perfectly, Sara!

6. Grace says:

I can’t imagine the loss and the grieving ~

7. Beautifully tender and wistful…

Liked by 1 person

8. Beautifully written. Having reached an age where too many of my dear friends are passing to what-comes-after, your words resonated with me. I selfishly hold them in memory, and flashes of moments return unexpectedly when nudged by some sight or sound. Time is kind in that way!

9. emangarduque says:

we get scared because we come to value more life when we face a loss.

10. Goodness, I have those moments of wondering the same thing. Loss takes such a toll. Thanks for writing for the prompt.

11. lillian says:

Having just lost a close friend several weeks ago … this is part of the sadness … that they are indeed lost to us.

12. rosross says:

Some people remember better than others, but we always feel even if we do not see.

13. hypercryptical says:

Memories do fade until we come across something forgotten or something remembered or something tidied away.
    Yesterday I did a bit of spring cleaning, tidying out drawers, and came across a photograph of my bestest friend who passed away two Christmas’s ago. It didn’t make me sad rather joyously happy in that I had had the gift of knowing her and I kissed that photo with love in my heart.
    Kind regards