Fierce Heat and Friendship

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub  – Haibun Monday  (posted by hayesspencer)
Summer is slowly winding down and this morning, there was a tad bit of cool in the air – which has long since dissipated! My prompt for you all today, will hopefully make you smile and take you back to middle or high school….what did you do on your summer vacation?

summer-vacation.png

It would be impossible to forget our week
in Cape May with friends, some years ago.
Over 100 degrees each day. Air conditioner
thought about working, decided against it.
We sweltered on the beach with the other
vacation meltees, as close to the water
as possible. What saved our vacation
was our friendship, wine, and laughter.

downpour-drenched kittens
abandoned in alley
safely sheltered by mom

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Fierce Heat and Friendship

I love it! drenched kittens….excellent. Cape May in NJ is memory from the past for me, when we would visit relatives in that area. It can get hot!

2. Waltermarks says:

The wine and laughter probably helped to make the friendship go farther too. No air conditioning is a hardship!

3. Grace says:

Cheers to friendship, wine and laughter. And love that haiku about kittens !

4. ..and surely a toe dipped in the refreshing ocean tide. Yes, the no AC would be difficult but I’m glad you had things to bolster your spirit!

5. Love the kittens, but for me such heat would be unbearable… good to have a great friendship then

6. kim881 says:

I got hot and bothered just reading about the air conditioner, Sara! So glad the downpour-drenched kittens were saved!

7. Frank Hubeny says:

Nice word: “meltees”. I liked the haibun of the protected drenched kittens.

8. Great summer vaca memory. You weave a great tale with your haibun. CH1 is beckoning for your return. The garden gate has been opened and I’m looking to pick-up where we left off. I’m getting the word out so, if you have the inclination, come visit and we’ll get on with it. Walt

poemsofgardengnomes.wordpress.com

9. Reminded me of a trip to Steamboat Springs during their only heat wave in years, and our lovely “suite” which had no air conditioning. Loved the drenched kitten haiku!

10. ladynimue says:

Friendships save not just from the summersbut perhaps from our own self at times. Likes this post 🙂