Forest Renewal

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Nature:  Her Words
Captivate the form Nature reveals to you: animate, inanimate.

“Just living is not enough….one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower.” —
Hans Christian Andersen

Traveling in Oregon,
a sadness overcame me
when from a car I witnessed
destruction of a forest,
charred stumps of wood
lying on scarred earth.
During eight years of being
a resident, and riding along
that same route, I was thrilled
to glimpse tiny, struggling
stems of green beginning
to heal barrenness. Nature’s
power to overcome odds
renewed my faith that concerned
earth protectors could do the same.

23 Responses to Forest Renewal

1. Rall says:

They could do the same but everyone is so involved and busy with their lives . They do not notice things like that. Sadly no time to smell the roses or notice the little green shoots.

2. oldegg says:

Sadly humans are quite blind to the gift of their fellow inhabitants on this Earth, the trees and other plants that allow us to breathe, eat and heal, the animals which give balance to the worlds needs, the seas which feed us and put clean water into the atmosphere to fall and land to quench our thirst. We need them all to work for us not use them as refuse pits for our indulgent waste.

3. I enjoyed the hope in your poem, we just need to give the planet a chance. Fortunately there are a lot of like minded people out there. Thanks for sharing your poem..

4. Sumana Roy says:

May all barrenness be healed up. Nice.

5. kiwi says:

Nature can overcome quite a lot It has an amazing healing power. Well said

6. It is only natural that nature undertakes to care for itself against all odds!

Hank

7. Susan Chast says:

I love that the poem reverses time, first giving the horror and then the hope.

8. Mary says:

It is so very sad when one witnesses the destruction of forests. To have them destroyed by some natural occurrence is one thing, but to have them destroyed by an act of humans is heart breaking. Thankfully, nature can overcome amazing odds. May it always be so.

9. thotpurge says:

Only determined by money and profits.. we destroy our home, creating wealth for ourselves.

10. ….beginning to heal barrenness . this has much hope despite destruction.
    An abstract painting garners attention in a museum but people are stingy with time to admire Mother Nature in daily life.

11. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

I believe that nature will overcome the odds, eventually. Whether we’ll be around to see it, I’m not so sure.