Flight!

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Live Toads – Play It Again, Toads
Pick an archived prompt.  (posted by Shay’s Word Garden)
Create a post based on any of these photographs, or one of your own, on the theme of arriving or departing.

girls running away

I have chosen Fireblossom Fridays:  Arrivals and Departures, December 2011

Come Henrietta,
we must flee
‘fore ebon sky
obscures our way
to safety. Even now
foreboding fog endangers
our flight. Swiftly through
grasslands of night, Henrietta,
with merely a glow of lantern
to illuminate our path. Brush
moves. I hear footsteps.
Alas, I can no longer see
behind me. Come Henrietta,
we must flee!

24 Responses to Flight!

What an intense poem. The repeat of the first line as the last only adds to the desperation in this. And my aunt is named Henrietta after my grandmother’s older sister.

2. mhatter99 says:

This is very inviting of a moment.

3. Kerry O'Connor says:

you captured the sense of flight very well. I like the style and use of alliteration.

4. There is an intensity in this departure where I’m left to wonder why they are fleeing,

5. Somehow Henrietta is perfect for the image. Perfect.

6. kim881 says:

great shape and use of repetition, Sara, in a poem with dark undertones.I particularly like the use of the word ‘ebon’ and the lines:
    ‘foreboding fog endangers
    our flight. Swiftly through
    grasslands of night, Henrietta,
    with merely a glow of lantern
    to illuminate our path’.

7. Brendan says:

Yikes. This is so heady with terror it reads like an epitaph. It makes one pray it unfolds into an arrival poem.

8. You made me feel the fear, the haste, the danger, the darkness. Wonderful.

9. fear and flight fittingly combined – especially liked the “foreboding fog “

10. Rommy says:

The pacing of it mimics the feel of breathlessness that Henrietta and her sister must have as they run (hopefully) towards safety.

11. Great voice for the image… I feel the fear in your words.