Balancing Seasons in My Mind

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Haibun Monday:  Komorebi  (posted by hayesspencer)
“I was thinking intensely of the Japanese word, komorebi (koe moe ray bee) which means specifically light that is filtered between leaves and usually occurring in spring and fall…but in that in-between-season. I would like you all to write a haibun about how you are affected by season changes, if you do any special activities, what you have done in the past or have planned for the future season between seasons: vacations, birthday celebrations, weddings, starting to school or the birth of a child or grandchild, staring anew job, or being fired, retiring or starting a new job, freezing or canning up the last of summer’s bounty, making food that is geared to cooler weather (chili, certain soups or stews, baked chicken, etc.) taking walks (how does this time of year smell to you, feel or look to you), putting out more wild bird feeders and suet cakes, anything that brings to mind, to smell, to taste, to feeling this in-between-season.”

leaves4

Komorebi – Copyright Kanzensakura

I sit on a fence, trying to make sense of light changes. Lambent light
at Summer’s end, seems to be gathering its skirts for Fall’s
first dance. I watch twilight tumbling through the sky
at an ever earlier hour.

My dilemma is experiencing excited anticipation of Autumn’s first
chill–sun shining on effulgence of russets and reds–while simultaneously
trying to shun thoughts of October depression. It is cyclic. Happens
most years, even as I bake spicy pumpkin pies, inhale the ripened apples in my cider, and taste cinnamon in the air. October lives a short, golden life,
waning in winter’s white spell of death.

summer sun weakens
plants and flowers store energy
to survive white winds

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Balancing Seasons in My Mind

Oh my. What a truly lovely haibun and haiku. Fall can get me depressed (it’s cyclical 🙂 ) But I also love fall. I’m a November baby. I love the white winds and snow and cold of winter, the whirling falling leaves, the pot of fresh collard greens simmering on the stove, buying a bushel of ginger gold apples to keep over in our cold room. You brough all of this mind in this excellent haibun. Thank you.

2. Grace says:

I try to shake off October’s depression and winter’s death grip too, smiles ~ Love the autumn colors as the summer sun weakens ~

3. I love how you describe that balance. I think we need the colours and the scents for our survival

4. No depression for me! September and October bring magic days of all things I love. Their splendor makes winter worthwhile!

5. annell4 says:

I am also a November baby and maybe that is why I approach the autumn season with such anticipation? Perhaps it is a renewal of myself? What a wonderful thought? It would make sense that fall and winter are my two favorite seasons. I hope you will find peace this year, and won’t sink into the abyss as has happened before. Things do change. But without loss and sorrow how would we be able to know happiness? May this year, happiness will find you!!!

6. My Dear, you set a brilliant dance to play out! This is so wonderfully you in return! I enjoy your work incredibly (if I hadn’t told you in a bit)! New York does wonders for you!

7. lillian says:

Wonderful haibun…most especially love these words: “I bake spicy pumpkin pies, inhale the ripened apples in my cider, and taste cinnamon in the air. October lives a short, golden life,
    waning in winter’s white spell”…..I just changed the wreath on our door from our summer wreath to our fall wreath. Funny how different colors and different aromas signal the transitioning of one season to another.

8. hypercryptical says:

“waning in winter’s white spell of death” – lovely descriptive words of things to come. Luckily depression passes me by, although that said, I dread the cold.
    Anna :o]

9. A great contrast of seasons that illustrates the comforts of autumn on the dreaded precipice of a brutal winter.

10. Wonderful personification if summer “gathering its skirts for Fall’s first dance.” I tend to get depressed in the fall and winter, too, even though it is a beautiful and festive season, so I can relate.

11. Frank Hubeny says:

The autumn does seem to lead to depression although they can both be enjoyable.

12. Vivian Zems says:

Loved this. Made me think I was in the scene!

13. Summer … “gathering its skirts ” lovely!