Remembering The Fragrance

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Memories   (posted by Sumana Roy)

“There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief.”— Aeschylus

Memory is our active storage tank, always storing and retrieving (for the lucky ones, of course). We are often astounded by its playfulness. We don’t know what will emerge out of its darkest depth of time nor are we aware when a cherished moment will sink down to the fathomless deep.

Take a look at your memory and play with it in whatever way you want.

Deep in thought of friends
from my past. Happy to pair
a scent with a person. Heavy
cologne drifting down
the hallway, preceding
its owner. A bar of Ivory
soap emanating from the skin
of a childhood friend. Sour-
sweetness of sweat after
making love. Your scents
linger, my friends.

25 Responses to Remembering The Fragrance

1. thotpurge says:

That’s true.. scents are powerful triggers of memory.

Liked by 1 person

2. Mary says:

Wow, does this bring back MY memories. I remember an early beau who wore English Leather. I still picture him in connection with that scent. And my long deceased aunt is forever associated with Olay!!

3. Susan Chast says:

Sweet! And wonderful! I’m happy that this truth is now in a poem.

4. Marie Elena says:

They say scent is the strongest memory sense. Well done!

5. Oh! Ivory soap from childhood. Talcum powder, my grandma, and also the boys who picked me up for dates in cars that are now antiques. Pinks and sweet peas from my grandmother’s garden. Sigh. Wonderful poem reminding me how much scent triggers memory.

6. Jae Rose says:

What an interesting and beguiling thought

7. Sumana Roy says:

Absolutely right. Scents do take us back to the trail once left.

8. kiwi says:

“Your scents linger, my friends.” True very well worded. I love the scents who take you right back to the past

9. Khaya Ronkainen says:

Yes, I can relate. Scent does transport us to the past. Lovely!

10. I think scent is one of the strongest instigators of memory. Some are so singular that they transport me instantly to a particular place or person. Great write, Sara.

11. Excruciatingly sensuous! Scents can certainly be expected to be personally captivating,

Hank

12. Beautiful!💖 Most of our memories are indeed associated with scent. 💖

13. Anita says:

Sweet fragrant memory 🙂

14. MYRNA ZACH says:

and nothing brings back memories like a scent from the past

Liked by 1 person