Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Rising Above
“I read in an article that circumstances, according to scientists are only 10% contributors to happiness and the rest is done by ‘our genes, our behavior and our intentional activities’. This may be the reason why some people having been through so much would not sink and cope well.”

To quote from Nietzsche, “He who has the why to live can bear almost any how.”

Riddled with anxiety that began
at thirteen years of age,
caged in my
I was fortunate

to have fine friends and family
who weathered my many storms
alongside me, and guided me
toward light, when all I could see

was darkness. Yet in this
abyss, I never lost or
tossed aside my sense of humor,
self-deprecating though it was.

Then, a foray into writing,
alighting at last on something
that carried me into new territory
where I could drift with the moon,

pluck images out of my head,
get out of bed, and look forward
to what I might create. It is
exhilarating; it is my kite.

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Kite

1. I love that writing is your kite……..and that it led you into “new territory, where I could drift with the moon.”

Liked by 1 person

2. thotpurge says:

Poetry as your kite is a fantastic thought! May it soar.

3. Susan Chast says:

Mine too! What a great way to think about writing. Makes me think of that Mary Poppin’s song Let’s Go Fly a Kite”! I have a kite in my poem too.

4. Hi Sara, may your kite fly high and happy.

5. kiwi says:

Love your poem and the kite image How important a sense of humor is I feel it helps to take life less serious . I have the same feeling with writing It is exhilarating

6. Oooo, writing as a kite. Yes! Yes!

Liked by 1 person

7. Sumana Roy says:

Aah…to drift with the moon!…Poems do take us above all mundane things. Love that image of poetry as kite.

8. Khaya Ronkainen says:

May your kite continue to soar against the wind. Beautiful piece, Sara!

9. oldegg says:

I am sure many of our circle of writers are much the same as you Sara. It has certainly been a boon for me and in fact I am quite addicted now!

10. Sarah Lea Stories says:

Love this: where I could drift with the moon. Writing does “take us away” like Calgon. I love the way the poem finishes–very strong.

11. …and isn’t it freeing to give our innermost thoughts wings and let them fly unencumbered? Great poem!

12. annell4 says:

I liked what you had to say.

13. Mary says:

I love the way you wrote about your own personal way of rising above! Inspiring.

14. Janice says:

I like the kite image…it fits with a journey out of the terrors of mind.

15. Oh Sara this really tugged at my heart. I am so glad you found your voice in this journey you have been on! So wonderful for us all that you found your kite in this life! I just love this!!

16. Tournesol says:

Hang on to this kite and let yourself go and fly with your imagination!!