Those Dreaded Bucket Lists

Shared at dVerse – Open Link Night #205 (posted by Kim)
Open Link Night is when you choose any ONE poem of yours to share.

I see people making their bucket lists
manically checking off activities,
pressured to reflect on what they have missed.

A race against time before the finish.
or prior to fear of senility.
I see people making their bucket lists.

They say, conquer your fears; take a risk
which might call for lost agility,
pressured to reflect on what they have missed.

Might they be considering a tryst,
hoping they have no deficiencies?
I see people making their bucket lists.

Have they thought of taking a foreign trip
to Morocco, Greece, or Italy?
pressured to think of what they have missed.

This new craze I have readily dismissed,
content to pursue creativity.
I see people making their bucket lists
pressured to reflect on what they have missed.

25 Responses to Those Dreaded Bucket Lists

1. jillys2016 says:

A fine villanelle! Just think, it was on my bucket list to read a Sara McNulty poem before the end of the week… 🙂 (Really enjoyed this, Sara!)

2. Charley says:

Solidly written; solidly on solid ground. Kick the bucketlists!

3. Truedessa says:

Yes, the form works well as it enhances the main theme. I think we all have a bit of a bucket list.

4. The villanelle works so well here – both for emphasis but also to undermine the bucket-listers’ listing – because whatever they do (the tryst, the trip) the chorus repeats. Big fan of the form and very nicely done.

5. Catharine Phillips says:

Wonder villanelle..Love the form! May give it another try,

6. Yes – can we make freedom stressful, too much money and too little time.

7. kim881 says:

A well-executed villanelle, Sara, and I totally agree with you about bucket lists! Long live spontaneity – or better still a nice cosy chair with a pen and paper or a book!

8. The Villanelle works exceptionally well here I was particularly drawn to “I see people making their bucket lists pressured to reflect on what they have missed” …that is so true!

9. Sabio Lantz says:

Interesting rant. I agree, truly a fad. The myth of romance working itself out. Read a section of a great book called “Sapiens: A short history of humankind” by an Israeli historian who writes on the same. Here in the USA, visiting Ireland is one such trip , or the Caribbean, or … They do these more to tell others “I did it !”, but sadly, really, others don’t care. A vacation you can only do occasionally, but writing ….

10. D-Claire says:

oh yes. It’s a weird competitive vibe with the bucket list? All it takes is money! Ridic. Great poem, made me smile

11. Frank Hubeny says:

Bucket lists are admissions of having missed something. Nice villanelle!

12. I share your opinion of bucket lists! It’s ever so much more satisfying to make a list of what you’ve accomplished instead of what you’ve missed! That being said, I’m just not much of a list-maker. Loved your “take” on the subject.