How To Re-hope?

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Quadrille #42 – “hope”  (posted by De)

Today, write us a poem of hope. Of hopefulness. Or hopelessness. Or any form of the word therein that you choose. Invent your own word if you like: hope-itude, hope-iosity, hope-ortunity. Just make sure your poem is precisely 44 words long (not including the title), and literally contains some form of the word hope.

How to re-hope when the situation
is hopeless. How to look toward
the future when all is bleak.
When this time, this world,
these leaders are all we have,
what about the aftermath
when we are gone? Will there
even be an aftermath?

27 Responses to How To Re-hope?

1. whimsygizmo says:

I like these open questions, Sara. Or should I say I don’t like them, which makes for a powerful poem.

2. Frank Hubeny says:

I guess hope is that the present problems will end and there will be an aftermath.

3. Waltermarks says:

Good questions to ask, will there be an aftermath? You placed it succinctly. I guess the mad hatter’s tea party will last a bit longer

Liked by 1 person

4. Very nice. For some ( obvious) reason I thought of this poem from the NYT. – how to remake the music box by Geoffrey Hilsabeck.

5. The future might seem bleak, but that’s all we have and that’s all we can make good.

6. Somber words. The absence of hope is hopelessness. Even at the bottom of Pandora’s box there was said to be HOPE. Have faith.

7. They say that as long as there is life there is hope… I hope for aftermath

8. lillian says:

I LOVE the idea and think you’ve nailed it here. It is not about “hope.” It is about re-hope….when there is repetition and the predictors are strong and oh so negative. Hope was alive and we must learn to re-hope.

9. I like the idea of re-hoping. Sometimes, I think, we forget about hope, and we need to remind ourselves.

10. jazzbumpa says:

I guess the old phrase “hoping agains hope”
    can come into play

11. Grace says:

Well i hope…I try not to read too much on those bleak doomsday endings ~

12. re-hope…..sounds so good……maybe that’s the only way!

13. Mish says:

Very valid questions in these times…I never thought I would be frightened for my grandchildren’s future. A thought-provoking piece.