Need

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Haibun Monday:  Kindness  (posted by hayesspencer)
Today the haibun is all about kindness. Plain and simple – kindness. We all could do with some kindness in this harsh world. So…Let’s have at it. “Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.” That famous quote by Blanche Dubois in A Streetcar Named Desire. So many quotes about kindness.

So – what I would like you all to do, in haibun format – tight paragraphs with a haiku at the end, in 150 words or less, to write a haibun about actual kindness that was done for you or that you did for someone. Go ahead, toot your horn! Let’s flood the universe with instances of kindness. I am even going to forgive if the haiku does not have seasonal word in it.

His spot is on the service road to the highway. He moves down the lane of cars in a wheelchair, due to the loss of his legs. When we are in our car, my husband and I always keep a dollar handy in case we see him. I would like a chance to have a conversation with this pleasant man, and learn more about his situation.  However, if traffic light is green we are forced to keep moving, and cannot always reach him. Several days ago, we were able to ask if he needed anything, or if there was something we could do for him. He smiled, a lovely genuine smile, and said, “No thanks, I’m good.”

nest falls from tree
soft sound like wind-carried leaves
birds build new home

19 Responses to Need

1. Frank Hubeny says:

Nice description of kindness to a stranger.

2. Grace says:

That’s really kind of you Sara ~ I am fearful for those falling nests (and baby birds) ~

3. Sabio Lantz says:

Kindness went both ways there, it seems. Nice

4. Sherry Marr says:

“No thanks, I’m good.” None so heroic as the impoverished – nor more generous, I have found.

5. It’s probably nice just to have someone engage with you when you are in that situation.

6. I have to admit to distrust of those panhandlers at highway intersections. Too many of them have been followed to their Cadillac at the end of the day. I’ve always wished for a barometer of some sorts, so I could ferret out those in real need and brighten their day. I loved your story of one of those truly deserving.

I apologize for getting to your submission so late. I lost internet (!) yesterday during the prompt and just got it back sometime early this morning. Thank you for your kindness to this person. And he is pleasant as well. The haiku is beyond superb.

8. jazzytower says:

That is a good ongoing act of kindness Sara. But some days I feel like Beverly. And other days I won’t let anything rob me of my kindness. The haiku is so good. Wraps it all us. Nice work.

9. I think once we start to see them it’s so hard not to give a helping hand… somehow there is so many choices… what’s really the best way to help?

10. Misky says:

It seems that red and green lights dictate our pace nowadays, so I’m glad you were able to speak with him.

Liked by 1 person