End or Beginning?

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – A Skyflower Friday: Goodbye
(posted by Kerry)

As another year comes to its natural conclusion, it may be time for some goodbyes – some important part of yourself may have to be left behind in 2017 or perhaps there is cause for a pruning of old, dead weight to make way for new growth and opportunities which lie ahead. Very few of us can say goodbye without regret or some measure of pain. I would like you to use these ideas as a springboard for your poem today.

Each new year
their shoulders
of boulders they have
carried, a weight
they feel
they can shake off
in one day.

23 Responses to End or Beginning?

1. Every ending is a new beginning, they say. I hope this year comes with a good shaking… and a lot of room to begin again.

2. Kerry O'Connor says:

Not so easy to rid oneself of those boulders, but it feels possible at the end of a year.

3. Brendan says:

How heavy our burdens would be without a door of a day leading out of each year! Yet how is it that the gold gets mixed in with the trash we leave behind?

4. sanaarizvi says:

Indeed, each new year signifies a new beginning as we say goodbye to the old. Those last lines pack a lot of emotion and truth.

5. crisply constructed to denote that shrug – clever!

6. I am especially glad to say goodbye to 2017, one of the worst years ever, on the political scene, and HOPE 2018 will be better.

7. To start with a clean slate means hope… maybe we need to look at every day that way

8. There are some years that feel much heavier than others.

9. Rommy says:

Ha! The last couple of years need more than just one day of simple shaking. I think I need 48 hours of intense shimmying.

I like this, Sarah. It likens to teaching, if we messed up and didn’t do so well there is always a new crop of students for which we could do better. Before I changed jobs work was very stressful. Messing up could cause a slip in the spacecraft launch. Heads role then.

11. mhmp77 says:

kaykuala

a weight they feel
    they can shake off
    in one day

Very true Sara. There had not been much that one could be thankful for in 2017. Given the political and economic scene it could not be much improvement to expect next year either.

Hank