Smaller Family

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Celebration  (posted by Sumana Roy)

There’s no dearth of celebrations in this world. From the tiniest particle to the cosmos is in a mood of celebration.

For people everywhere there are funny, bizarre, interesting, solemn, traditional, religious celebrations.

Celebrations are part of our lives bestowing a sense of belonging, recognizing, strengthening and honoring relationships & also adding a purpose to life.

Life itself can be celebrated too, in a breath of gratitude.

In bittersweetness we gather together
although our numbers have dwindled,
to light the candles, to wonder if whether
our parents look down on us with a twinkle

in eyes that tell them we have not forgotten.
Tradition of potato pancakes endures.
With laughter, old stories, love, we are heartened
despite the future of which we’re unsure.

We speak of our grandmother’s cooking skills–
rolling dough out paper thin for knishes,
sugar cookies eaten until we were ill.
How we loved to eat from her blue glass dishes.

In a celebration indoors or out,
being with family is what it’s about.

19 Responses to Smaller Family

1. oldegg says:

How right you are there is nothing quite like having a family get together with everybody relaxed and chatty from the start.

2. You made me remember my grandma’s mugs made of green Depression glass. How I wish I hd one now. The gatherings around the table – smiles, laughter, blessings….but always the memory of those no longer here. In my family, I am the next one in line to fade away…..yikes, how did that happen?

3. Sumana Roy says:

Not everyone is that fortunate to have a family to celebrate. So this indeed is a precious moment of celebration. A lovely poem Sara.

4. jazzytower says:

It does bestow a sense of belonging doesn’t it. A nice observation. A nice write Sara. Its so good to find you in my reader. This thing has been misbehaving for ever so long.

5. susan says:

Love! We too have a smaller family and we gather sometime around our Hanukkah and Christmas time. But one of the grandchildren, my nephew who is married with two children, is reviving the strain of Jewishness in our family and going all the way with food and faith and celebration. Though I know “the tradition’ comes all from the mother’s family, I am sure the twinkle of his/my ancestor’s eyes is also there. Thank you! Sharing!

6. Mary says:

Yes, being with family is what it is all about. Whether large family or small, there are always wonderful stories to be told around the holiday table!

7. magicalmysticalteacher says:

I can tell that you love family gatherings, even though the numbers have dwindled…

Liked by 1 person

8. x says:

being with family…there are few things that come close to that. I think thiz yeAR we did not lose anyone. ..def a reason to celebrate.

9. Khaya Ronkainen says:

Precious moments with family are a reason to celebrate. Beautiful piece, Sara!