Vinyl Days

Written for dVerse Poets Pub – Poetics:  “How Are You Feeling Today?”  (posted by Lillian)
Write a poem that includes the word “groove”.

In vinyl days
we played our records
over and over,

until crackling,
skipping screeches
ruined the sound.

Grooves wore smooth;
the record warped–
no longer groovy.

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Vinyl Days

1. rothpoetry says:

A great poem! I remember all those grooves.

2. Nice, nostalgic poem.

3. lillian says:

Smiling I am. I remember those days! I had a single play record player….you could close the top, latch it like a little suitcase, and take it with you anywhere. I remember being jealous of those who had the kind where you could stack your 45s on the spindle and they’d drop automatically. I had to put little plastic inserts in to every 45 I wanted to play – they changed the “hole” in the vinyl record to a single hole that would fit on the phonograph — then I pused a lever on the record player to 45 and it would play the right speed. The vinyl albums were 33s 🙂 In those days of teenager angst I was known to listen to my Johnny Mathis albums quite a bit! 🙂 And yep — so frustrating when the grooves would get a scratch or dust or whatever and the record would “skip” — which meant it would play the same tiny segment over and over til you moved the needle on! Oh my —- thanks for the memories! Enjoyed this take on the prompt! 🙂

4. jazzytower says:

I remember those days. I still have loads of vinyl and a working turntanle etc. Love your take on the prompt!

5. Glenn Buttkus says:

Yup, loved those “vinyl days”. I entitled my poem DIAMOND TIPPED, though no one seemed to see the groove connection, or at least acknowledge it. When music went to tape, then CD, the skipping was banished.

6. Trådløs says:

Oh yes – that is so true – makes me all nostalgic for the good old days

7. Frank Hubeny says:

I remember those scratched records. Grooves aren’t always groovy.