Teacher From Hell

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Haibun Monday:  Handwriting  (posted by Kim881)

It was hate at first sight. My overbearing, heavily perfumed,
steely-haired fifth grade teacher hated my handwriting. It wasn’t
that I could not write in script. This woman wanted perfect
handwriting. She never let up, and I never could pen letters
in the precise way she wanted them.

My sister, six years my junior, had the misfortune to have
the same teacher. The first thing this woman said to her,
“Well, I hope you have better penmanship than you sister.”

To this day, most people have difficulty deciphering
my block letters.  I only use cursive when a signature is required.

eager dog waits
frisbee sails through summer air–
uncaught again

21 Responses to Teacher From Hell

Oh these traumas caused by ignorant and cruel teachers. I love the haiku at the end of this.

2. rothpoetry says:

What a sad experience for you. Hopefully things have improved since then. I loved the haiku!
    Dwight

3. What an ugly experience…I used to love to write kursive

4. kim881 says:

Another teacher from hell! What is it with these teachers? But then, on the other hand, when I was teaching at a high school I had a male student whose handwriting was like a barcode and I couldn’t read it, however hard I tried. But demanding perfection is no way to teach handwriting – we are all individuals – and no teacher should compare siblings like that.

5. Frank Hubeny says:

My third grade teacher was the one I remember with the most fear, but looking back at her I can imagine all kinds of excuses for her behavior. I often write in block (capital) letters as well especially if I want the script to be easy for someone else to read.

6. Singledust says:

I had a good friend who had the worst handwriting almost childlike even when we were in college but she was a brilliant mind. Not much emphasis on handwriting at school these days though and kids often submit computer written reports.

7. I started out strong, but my HW has gone south in a rapid decline Used to have great penmanship, but my chicken scratch is bad. I’m with you, only when signature is required.

Liked by 1 person

8. hypercryptical says:

I do think our personality shines through out writing, but we each should have the right to our own individual style.
    My handwriting is neat and tidy if a formal letter is required, otherwise it is a rough lazy untidy squiggle – I wonder what that says about me…
    Love your haiku too!
    Anna :o]

9. Mish says:

I have no respect for teachers that demand perfection. What an awful experience that must have been. Your haiku adds another layer to your prose. I can feel the pain.

10. Misky says:

Sometimes I swear that when we were growing up, teachers had no clue how they’d influence our self-esteem in the future. Completely clueless, and for the most part useless.

11. Beverly Crawford says:

Some teachers should never have been allowed in the classroom! Sorry for your cursed cursive experience!

Liked by 1 person