Who Were Those Women?

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – Get Listed:  Landslide Month  (posted by Angie Reinspired)

For today’s prompt I’ll provide the word list ingredients for your poem referring to either new beginnings or a birthday (happy or sad or in-between).  I want to feast on the words you insert into your new creation on newness itself, or on a special celebration you are looking forward to, or a milestone memory you recall about a loved one.

This is my chosen group of words:  over, beginning, back, ahead

At times she feels
she has lived
several times over
as different women.
From beginning years
of fearful teenage
-hood, green in self
-esteem, yet rebellious
she forged ahead–one
impulsive move after
another. Her poor mother
and father. She cringes now
thinking of the difficulties
they endured. Always they had
her back, a fact she was oblivious
to during her many phases.

Recall a woman racing
off to marry, tarrying not
to consider effects this sociopathic
winner would have on her.
What was her name?

Then, there was that strange
woman who left a job
to attend bartender’s school.
Fool.  A move that did not
pan out.
Who was she?

A third woman of no
relation, packed up
all her belongings
and moved to a small town
with a child/alcoholic
as mate, though fate saw
to it, and they did not seek
wedded bliss.
What kind of woman
must she have been?

The woman she has become
is no longer on the run, but
who’s to say she is the final
product? Who’s to say she will
remember living in this skin?

25 Responses to Who Were Those Women?

1. in, over, back, and through… she ain’t over til she’s over. this is a whole flash poetry of a life. and when you think you’re at an end, it’s really just another beginning. i like how you handled this prompt. thanks Sara

2. kim881 says:

‘At times she feels
    she has lived
    several times over
    as different women’ – I know this feeling, Sara, and you express it so well in your poem, from the ‘fearful teenage
    -hood, green in self
    -esteem, yet rebellious’ right through to the woman no longer on the run. Those multiple women exist in all of us, some of us just have more than others.

3. oldegg says:

How many lives do we each live in a lifetime? Many of course and we have plenty of time to be several as we learn the ways of the world. Many of us lead double lives that people are unaware of. Life is an adventure isn’t it?

4. Sanaa Rizvi says:

‘At times she feels
    she has lived
    several times over
    as different women’

Oh yes.. I too have felt this at some point in my life 🙂 Excellent write, Sara!💖

5. ihatepoetry says:

I related to this exactly. I think we’ve lived similar lives. Excellent!

6. belle says:

“hood, green in self
    -esteem” … Boy, I remember this … trying to cover up your very existence with a hood, or any kind of bulky clothing, to hide yourself.

The last stanza is so powerful. Your line breaks throughout are excellent. I love this poem.

‘At times she feels she has lived several times over as different women’. I can so relate to this! Excellent work Sara. I wonder that my parents didn’t drown me when I was six…I think we all invent and reinvent ourselves as we go along, growing out of our skins and starting a new skin. Wonderful.

8. Sherry says:

I COMPLETELY resonate with this poem, down to the sociopath and the alcoholic.i always say that i lived a different lifetime every decade. I am writing my memoir that way. Lol.

9. We live a lot of lives in one life don’t we? I am not who I was, but it’s still a journey to who I will be. Love this!

10. How come that some do so many bad choices… while other seems to just float into something quite perfect?

11. Beverly Crawford says:

What an evocative write, that carries us along in anticipation of the next chapter!

12. I like the question at the end of each stanza. We are all a work in progress…