Outside

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – camera FLASH! – February Photo Challenge (posted by Kerry)

circus-budapest-19-may-1920-1920.jpg!Large

Circus, Budapest, 19 May 1920 Andre Kersetz

On the outside
we look through slats
at strips of circus
performers and animals.

On the outside
we peer at excited faces,
elaborate costumes,
silly clowns.

On the outside
we talk about which act
we would like best–maybe
balancing trapeze artists.

On the outside
we wish that someday we will
have enough money to be
on the inside.

19 Responses to Outside

1. oldegg says:

How true, for I too as a 9 year old wandered up to the field where a circus was being prepared for our town. The tent was erected the animals unloaded and the workers ignored us boys gawping at everything because we couldn’t afford to come that night. I had to wait a whole year before it came back to town and we finally sat on a board and watched the animals and other acts!

2. Sanaa Rizvi says:

Oh this one tugs at the heart!💞 So beautifully eloquent! 🙂

3. Kerry says:

Outside looking in… Offers a unique view though, doesn’t it?

4. I think this is exactly how it is… being outside looking in, not just with a circus but for a lot of things in society.

5. hypercryptical says:

I echo Bjorn’s response, we are left outside so often, our dreams just pennies away – but pennies we don’t have or politics that don’t fit.
    Anna :o]

I too agree with Bjorn and Anna. We spend so much time looking in, being kept on the outside by forces beyond our control. I wonder if once we finally get inside, if it will have been worth it.

7. belle jars says:

“we look through slats
    at strips of circus”

I love the sounds here.

8. MYRNA ZACH says:

and then we find that it looked better from outside

9. Helen says:

Hello! Sometimes it’s ‘be careful what you wish for’…. enjoyed this one Ms. Purple!!

10. Yes, we spend a lot of our lives looking in, but never really know what it is like to live there.

Liked by 1 person