Examples of Fire

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Quadrill #52
“Let’s Fire It Up”  (posted by WhimsyGizmo)
Fired. Fiery. Firing. Afire. Let me stand next to your fire. Fire and ice. We didn’t start the fire. Write about a fire-breathing dragon, or being fired from your last job. Use the word in any form, or as any form of speech you choose.

Explosive, unexpected,
flames can sweep in
as dragon tongues,
and with a few licks
cause families to become
homeless, sever trees
to stumps. Fires
have fiery tempers.

are harmless, and love
-ly to watch, lighting up
night with flashes
for the opposite sex.

20 Responses to Examples of Fire

1. fires vs fireflies. I used to be afraid of fireflies… I know how silly that is now. 🙂

2. Frank Hubeny says:

Nice comparison between dragons and fireflies. I also liked the Rumi quote.

I love fireflies and have since a small child. Nice light poem!

4. whimsygizmo says:

I MISS fireflies! Some of my childhood was in Ohio, where we would watch them flicker in the evenings. Now I’m out west, and we don’t have ’em here. I love the comparison here, Sara.

5. The gentle glow of fireflies – so tender compared to the dragon tongues

6. sanaarizvi says:

Love the comparison here, Sara 💖 Powerfully written.

7. annell4 says:

“Fireflyes” a favorite!! Thank you for this write.

8. lynn__ says:

Looking forward to firefly season again!

9. Mish says:

The glow of fireflies is such a warm, soothing contrast to the devastation of fire. Nice write. ☺

10. Great contrast between the two. I’d choose the later, of course, but sadly am left with the former–year-after-year.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )