I Got Sunshine

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Poetics:  “Soul gazing”  (posted by Paul)

Write me a soulful poem, a soul gazing haibun, a soul-filled sonnet, a soul-soup-mélange, a story of a Motown soul perhaps!…..sooooo many places we can go here. Is the soul within or without? Here is a quote from Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom, by John O’Donohue, which I have oft used as a source for inspiration.

“Once the soul awakens, the search begins and you can never go back. From then on, you are inflamed with a special longing that will never again let you linger in the lowlands of complacency and partial fulfillment. The eternal makes you urgent. You are loath to let compromise or the threat of danger hold you back from striving toward the summit of fulfillment.”

Strolling souls played musical
blue beats, Motown feats.
Was it Smokey, or in-your-face
belt out notes of Respect
injected in the blood, flowing
through veins, and challenging
the brain? Pulsed my ears,
tapped my toes. Closed door
on childhood, and fevered a teen.

35 Responses to I Got Sunshine

1. Waltermarks says:

Ha, ha. What teens were not fevered in the seventies? Rock and roll goes on, but the seventies were the tops

2. Oh, back in the day, music was the soundtrack of our souls, for sure. Sigh. The HOPE in those days. The dreams.

3. Truedessa says:

music is inspirational to the soul, it give life a beat…

4. rothpoetry says:

Amazing how music is the transition memory form childhood to adolescence. Love your closing the door and revving up your fevered teen emergence!

Nice! Once upon a time we had those wonderful tunes to carry us along. I miss those days.

6. Oh just the thought of Otis or Aretha frees my soul just a little bit.

7. I love this. Love it. Right from the title I was singing. Truly soul music. Thanks for bringing this vibe.

8. Not my music when I grew up… but I grew up to the beats of music…. and still grow by music.

9. SouL iS aN OCeaN
    JusT LooKinG
    FoR A MusE
    oF WaVeS wHo gLisTeN ReaD..:)

• Oh, I love this, Fred!

Liked by 1 person

• Thanks for the inspiration of your Poetry and so nice to see you again on the dVerse trail purpleinportland..:)

• I have been having trouble getting a comment into your site. Don’t know why.

Liked by 1 person

• Hi Again.. Sara.. Lately My Free Verse Poetry
        has been averaging 30 to 40K words in each’s
        week’s Effort along with 300 to 400 photos and
        anywhere from 30 to 50 YouTube Songs to Accompany
        All the Words and Photos of Nature and Culture i take to go
        along with what is a continuing Actual Epic Poetic Effort that
        is soon to reach 6 Million Words on 6.6.18 along with 9300 Miles
        of Public Dance that has mused most of the Words along the way
        in the same Time Frame of 58 Months by that point as i do Love Numbers
        And Letters too as i Love to say by then i will have done One-Ten-Thousandth
        Miles of the Distance to 93M Million Miles to the Sun by then.. and yes this is
        All really literally the Truth.. hehe.. in Empirical
        Measurable Poetry Effort NoW as i also
        continually stream a conscious and
        or rather somewhat subconscious
        truly Creative Holy Spirit Effort
        for those who do
        believe in
        more than
        Material Reductionism
        in what turns out as many
        Lamps and Chalices in what
        most folks actually pre-plan
        as Concrete Poetry
        but for me all
        the Art
        Flows as Streams
        to Rivers as We can and
        Will be FLoWeRS of Ocean
        Whole Waves as PaRT oF GoD too..
        i try not to offend anyone with Spiritual
        Stuff if they are not so inclined as i tend to
        find a Language that works for other folks like
        Nature is God and Love and Love is God and Nature
        of us too.. but i remember noting that you are of the Catholic
        Faith that i too was raised in and enjoy attending without Fail
        for the Entire duration of the Both the Holy And Creative Spirit
        of the Dance and Song that is all Free Verse now.. the Dance is
        somewhat now of a mix of ballet and martial arts in a Yoga Tai-Chi
        left and right foot balance of one Force.. of what some folks name
        Chi as the Holy Spirit too.. Kundalini Rising.. Qi.. Ki.. Prana.. Tao..
        Dao.. Satori.. the Great American Indian Spirit Felt and Sensed in
        all that is existence seen and heard and unseen and unheard as
        felt and sensed and what may not be felt and sensed depending
        On Each Set of Assigned eyes to view all that is by all that is
        also understood in Many Languages as God.. as i call my
        Poem a Personal Bible as this Current Write is
        the 824th MacroVerse Chapter of what
        i personally name as “SonG oF
        mY SoUL” as Ocean
        Whole Poem too.. it’s true.. my User
        Name for Word Press in Avatar Way links back
        to the Entire Poem which can and will make it very difficult
        to find the Comments Section as i use the Comments Section
        as a Palette to Write the Next MacroVerse where one Blog Post
        can push upwards of 80K Words NoW in Two weeks of Effort about
        the Size of two ‘normal’ size Novels.. if you do have a Newer Computer
        and Fast Broad Band Access it will usually open okay if one clicks on the
        Current MacroVerse Title but it can be a very long Two Novel Effort with
        300 or 400 photos and all those 30 to 50 YouTube Videos plus the
        Multi-Media in the Draft Comments Section to get to the Very
        Bottom.. hehe.. i knowl.. it’s possible as i get one or two
        comments every now and then.. but anyway.. now..
        considering that i am practically a Traveling
        Blog in out put and what i copy and
        paste to keep the effort going
        with muse from all around
        the world both virtual
        and flesh and
        blood.. it’s true in words
        of Taylor Swift.. not everyone is ready
        for it ..yet.. hehe.. “Moore’s Law” is slowly
        catching up.. hAha.. i lived as a shut in for 66 months
        with 19 Medical Disorders as i may have mentioned to you
        in the past.. including type two Trigeminal Neuralgia from wake to
        sleep for all those 66 Months that is like a Dentist Drill without Novocaine
        except for me it was in my right eye and ear.. as that pain is still assessed in
        Medical Literature as actually worse than the Torture.. of so-named Crucifixion
        as Normally Carried out still.. yes.. sadly in some Countries Still.. the Dentist Drill
        is now A close enough example as i truly cannot think of any thing else to come
        close to it.. anyway.. the pain went away and voila.. i went to the ‘other place’
        oN EartH.. And haven’t truly looked back to where i actually was before fully..
        AS
        And i Do Mean Unconditional Love.. as Star
        War’s Force
        That’s
        Real
        AND
        GoDNoW..:)

• You are an amazing person, Fred! Your photos are always engaging. No, I am not a Catholic, but I love the spiritual themes that run in your words. Stay well.

Liked by 1 person

• Oops.. sorry about
        That.. and thanks
        For i am not much
        For the Dogma
        Of the Church
        I visit as
        Singing
        ALWaYs
        Moves
        My SpiRit
        With SMiLes
        To you..:)

10. Jo Aylard says:

The music of your piece is amazing.

11. Grace says:

I can hear the beat and fever of that music ~

12. Charley says:

The temptations before me… to say it’s a family affair… but I know I need to respect myself (na-na-na…!). Awesomely done. The soul liberated by soul music (in its various iterations) is truly a game soul for poetry — writing it, devouring it, breathing it. Nicely done.

Liked by 1 person

13. annell4 says:

Perhaps it is the music that gives the structure and order…”files memory,” so when heard, we can find what is forgotten?

14. I got the fever! Motown, like reggae, instantly makes you feel better. On this wet California day your poem has me dancing in the streets.

Cheers,