Princess In Emerald

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Treasure   (posted by Sumana)

One year on my birthday
Dad gave me an enchanting
princess doll on a stand.
She wore an emerald green
velvet dress. Tiny mirror
dangled from her wrist.
Long blonde hair hung
braided to her waist.
I was almost afraid
to touch this vision.
Dad told me that the doll
reminded him of me. She
has graced my dresser
in three homes, and still
looks grand. You understand–
dolls do not age.

21 Responses to Princess In Emerald

1. What a wonderful gift – and a lovely thing for a father to tell his daughter. So sweet. A treasure indeed.

2. susan says:

There’s a Dorian grey edge to this otherwise innocent and charming poem. Bravo!

3. Rall says:

Yes poets are lucky….they do not age and remain young beautiful blonde princesses forever:)

4. Sumana Roy says:

Aw…isn’t this a sweet and a most precious treasure?

5. Myrna says:

Oh how I would treasure that doll. What a wise father you have.

6. Rosemary Nissen-Wade says:

Everything about this makes me smile.

7. oldegg says:

But will you in the end be jealous of her? Perhaps if you love her enough some magic will ensure you do not age either so you must keep moving home so other people don’t get suspicious! This has certainly got my mind conjuring up scenarios for your future! So yes, I really loved the poem.

8. annell4 says:

She sounds like a precious treasure! A Gift from DAD!

9. Trådløs says:

This is a beautiful gift and I can totally understand that you kept her all those years. So precious

10. Vivian Zems says:

I understand…..and if Dad gave it to you….what else is there to add to this? Poignant and beautiful.

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w