Memorable Places

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – April Day 20
“Say the names of the places you love”  (posted by Sherry Blue Sky)

“Our challenge is to write a poem in the spirit of “Say the Names”. What are the names of the places that live in your heart: their mountains, their rivers, their lakes or ocean shore, the small towns, the deserts, the city streets?

Sing us a song of those places, those names. Let’s sing out the places we love. I can’t wait to read your love poems to the places in your heart.”

Montauk, Montauk
I remember
when you were merely
a sleepy fishing village.

Cape May, Cape May
Gingerbread houses
pastel your shore.

Savannah, Savannah
A siren’s name
wrapped in pralines.

My love song ends with
Venice, Venice
where I bid you
Arrivederci!
from a moonlit gondola.

9 Responses to Memorable Places

1. ash says:

I love this! Especially the third stanza. That was so gorgeous and creative.

2. Sherry says:

So lovely, Sara. Tofino was a sleepy fishing village too, until the blockades of 1993 brought world attention. Loved your poem, kiddo.^

I’m impressed, Sarah. Knowing of these places is great, but being there. Were you? Venice is the most common, I’ve been there twice. We really liked it a lot.

I’ve had Antarctica on my bucket list, to touch the South Pole but finally took it off as being impractical. We are watching now a an explorer group at Antarctica on the Travel Channel.

5. from sleepy fishing village to moonlit gondola – thanks for the beautiful journey!

Lovely places all of them. I lived on Long Island for several years and fell in live with Montauk. I especially love Savannah, wrapped in a pralines smiles…perfect!

7. sanaarizvi says:

Sooo beautiful!😍 I love “Savannah, Savannah. A siren’s name wrapped in pralines.”💜

8. Oh, Venice, beloved Venice!!! Now you’re talking!

9. A journey through place names that evoke so much.