Longtime Friends

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – The Tuesday Platform  (posted by Rommy)
Do you have an interest you bonded over with a beloved? Is there an interest any potential lovers must have if they’re going to last longer than an evening? Feel free to write about that, or whatever else hits your fancy (new or old is fine).

From the start, we shared
a fondness for red wine, music
of Lauro Nyro, Emmylou Harris,
and the Allman Brothers, and authors
such as Tom Robbins, Carlos
Castenda, and Erica Jong.  It is said
opposites attract. Must be true
of looks as well. She, olive-skinned
black-haired, dark brown eyes–
me, blonde-haired, blue-eyed fair.

We have graduated from Yago Sangria
and Boone’s Farm Apple, to higher
priced red wines, and bourbon.
Beaches continue to hold a calming
allure, and our dark senses of humor
have deepened. We have grown
together, and have surrendered
to a forty-five year friendship–
still counting.

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Longtime Friends

1. thotpurge says:

Beautiful ..love how you say “surrendered” to a forty five year friendship!

Wow. 45 years of friendship. My best friend and I are at 43. I love it – surrendered. Opposites and yet, alikes. Such long lived relationships are rare in this world. I wish you another 45 years of friendship.

3. Sherry says:

Long friendships like that are rare. I have a few such friendships…..ones who knew us when, cheered our growth………loved this poem!

4. Rommy says:

It’s just about 30 for one of my dearest friends and me. We kept bumping into each other at Gifted and Talented Youth summer camps and ended up at the same college. It’s wonderful to have such steady friendships.

5. sanaarizvi says:

That’s wonderful!💜 Wishing you both many more years of happiness and friendship 🙂

6. RubyCardinal says:

Great read!! ❤️ Check out my blog at https://rubycardinal.blog like/follow please 😃

7. Such a wonderful friendship… music and wine… having fun and relax… love it

Yes, Sarah, it takes surrenders, two, to make it to 45 years. Mrs. Jim and I also reached the 45 mark, in February. I can’t remember where but someone interviewed was asked about their longish marriage, he said one thing that helped him was to ask EVERY DAY to his wife, “Will you marry me?” I’ve been doing that since, almost every day. And every day I get a smile and/or a ‘smart answer.’ I’ve been asking her now for several years if she would renew our vows to each other. Her answer generally is, “I haven’t done anything wrong for which I need to renew them.” She says she might relent for 50,if we make it that far. We are old.

9. hypercryptical says:

True friendship is a wonderful thing to be treasured and enjoyed for the pleasure it brings.
    My bestest friend of forty-three years only met one-to-three times a year, but it was always as if we had only seen each other yesterday. I did love her so. (Sadly she died two years ago.)
    True friendship is indeed beautiful.
    Anna :o]