Composite of Selves

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~”When I Think About Myself”
(posted by Sumana)

“What thoughts rise up when you think of yourself? Is it about the long path you’ve been walking that has almost shaped you? Is it about the small but meaningful and significant moments that have changed you? Is it about the thousand ‘yous’ that’s living within you?”

On a day-to-day basis, I spend
little time thinking about myself.
On occasion, when there is a stillness
to life, I mull over memories
of my selves. Many of my decisions
and ensuing actions astound me,
confound me. Surely that was
a different self. Yet, there is
a part of me that will forever
be impulsive, and ruminate later
over what I could or should
have done. If I feel like I am
in a rut, I become desperate
to escape.

My sense of humor continues
to be a self-saver. Does not
waver under extremes. Ethics
of early childhood are ever
present. My moral center
has not been compromised. Still,
each sunrise I search for
that inner peace–a place of ease–
that eludes me.

20 Responses to Composite of Selves

1. We all search that peace Sara, and yes that sense of humor can carry us through many hard times. Laughter is a wonderful medicine.

2. Marja says:

Oh that place of inner peace, worth searching for and nothing better than a good sense of self-saving humour. I enjoyed this

3. Susan says:

I have this too; “Many of my decisions
    and ensuing actions astound me,
    confound me. Surely that was
    a different self …”

May that elusive peace become one of the many selves you can stop in–without losing the impulsiveness,

4. A sense of humour is what gets us through………I look back in astonishment at my earlier selves too. I think we’d find that peace if other people didnt worry us so much!

5. oldegg says:

If we have filled our lives with a multitude of experiences and done what we set out to achieve that should give us some satisfaction. It is not a failure to have fallen short on the bucket list but more important is to have enjoyed our lives to thew full and are reluctant to go!

6. Sumana Roy says:

” Surely that was / a different self.”..Loved this bit. .Ha these surprises also go into making us. Yeah inner peace is elusive but someday it will be ours.

7. Rall says:

Some part of our lives have to be a sanctuary where we enjoy inner peace and have some time to reflect. It is part of life to struggle ,make wrong decisions and have regrets. Aristotle said a life unexamined is not worth living. Yep…agree.

8. A sense of humor can certainly be a lifesaver. I hope you find your way towards that inner-peace too. It is hard to come by, I understand. Perhaps through our expression, we inch closer towards it.
    -HA

9. thotpurge says:

That sense of humour- so vital while the search for the elusive goes on. True!

10. magicalmysticalteacher says:

This is a lovely bit of introspection. You really do know who you are.