Mark of Greatness

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Greatness  (posted by Susan)
(in honor of Nelson Mandela International Day – 07.18.18)
In your one new poem, use greatness as a theme. You could reflect on the elimination of poverty, on Nelson Mandela, or on some other revelation of greatness.

Nelson-Mandela-Quotes-of-Freedom

rose_that_grew_from_concrete_poem_grande

Philanthropists tender
funds for charitable
causes–one being aid
to impoverished families
in our own country, said
to be richest in the world.

If all people were treated
equally, provided food,
clothing, and a roof over
their heads, instead of
being shunted aside,
pride and dignity
would be theirs. That,
to me, would be a mark
of greatness.

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Mark of Greatness

1. Therisa says:

Sadly, the same truth could apply to Canada, as well. Too many First Nations communities are under boil water advisory, they lack safe drinking water for several years. This type of discrimination wouldn’t be accepted in the rest of Canada.

2. susan chast says:

Amen, Sister! Thank you for taking on poverty. If we did it, we’d find our greatness.

3. Sumana Roy says:

You’ve put it rightly.

4. oldegg says:

The amount of food trashed and wasted each year from supermarkets is enormous and could be used to feed the needy. Once items get near or achieve their use by date they are thrown out. Most of this food is often perfectly fine to consume, such as tinned food etc. I’d like to think that some charity organisation could distribute it.

5. Rall says:

Our first world countries have poverty in pockets equal to the third world.There is no excuse for it.

6. This reminds me of the quote by Benjamin Creme: There can be no peace without social justice. Truth.