Sand Hills

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – Weekend Challenge:
“A Little Night Music”  (posted by Brendan)

“Dream and poem paired like winding code—one replicates the other’s sense in a manner they both share but oddly, askant. Poetic truth is what we strain to recall inside a dream’s mysterium, that glint and welcome of the deep drying fast upon our morning pillow.”

“Write a poem in the manner of a dream, or dream in the manner of a poem. Walk in the footsteps of dream and tell us not only just where you went but how and when and what that was like.”

“Keep in mind that your dream is particular to your innerscape and will probably range from incoherent to uninteresting to others—unless there is something poetry that can unlock the door and enervate the ghost.”

Standing
recurring dream,
nothing changes.

I am always
standing alone
on a mountainous
sand hill, frozen.

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Sand Hills

Frozen on a mountainous sandhill…i like the repetition, the beginning and ending if this. You ties this frightening dream into a package of fear and uncertainty.

2. mhmp77 says:

kaykuala

recurring dream, nothing changes.
    I am always standing alone

A recurring dream somehow gets to be repeated though the outcome is different most times

Hank

3. kim881 says:

I agree with Toni, Sara, your recurring dream is neatly tied at the ends, like a parachute filled not with air but fear.

4. It sounds very scary! As I’m sure it is. But I am guessing you always wake before you jump.

5. sanaarizvi says:

Perhaps the dream is a signal of sorts .. often our fears and worries take intriguing shapes in our sleep. 💜

6. This is the kind of dream which terrorizes, for the object of fear is unknown. Well-penned.
    -HA

7. V.J. Knutson says:

The theme of being alone is certainly universal, and yet, so often true. The mountains we climb are our own, as is the character and strength that gets us there. Beautifully written.

8. MrsBednar says:

I have stood upon Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan … the landscape with the ocean in view is gorgeous but if you avert your eyes and only see sand mountain after sand hill… it is like another world. Wonder what this recurring dreams means?

9. I just read your comment on my poem and had to jump ahead and read yours. Yes, that frozen in place feeling… Interesting that different settings can convey the same emotions and entrapment. I’ve also had dreams, especially as a child, where I tried to scream but couldn’t. Nothing would come out. Those were really terrible. I’d wake up hoarse from trying but all that would come out was a whisper.

10. Vivian Zems says:

How exhausting to have the same dream where you’re in such precarious danger 🙂

11. I have dreams that repeat through the years too. I wonder what they mean. This was cool to read.