Years Later

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – Fussy Little Forms:  Cavatina
(posted by Marian)

“Just recently came across this older Italian form, but to me, it seems like a sonnet variation–kinda? It features rhyme and syllable counting that together create a nice rhythm, and a couplet at the end.”

Here are the rules:

Ten-syllable non-rhyming line,
Alternating with a four-syllable rhyming line,
Repeated at least three times,
Ending with a ten-syllable line couplet.

Friends from childhood, their parents close to ours,
meet after years.
Tell each other, ‘you haven’t changed a bit.’
laughter and tears.
We reminisce youthful exploits, parents
no longer here.
We wish they were sitting at the table,
faces still clear
as in our youth when our world was new,
few things to fear.
Recall having many to rely on
within our sphere.
Though we found paths in diverse directions,
like tea we are steeped in true affection.

14 Responses to Years Later

True, true, Sara. I love my class reunions. The last one, while we were eating lunch at the Senior Center, Rhoda, a classmate did a double take when she looked over and saw me. She had put me on her deceased list!

I love it, Kim, have lived it!! On our winter before last we took a cruise from Los Angeles down and back up to Rio de Genaro. At the Falkland Islands we drove through the marshes to a Penguin Preserve where we saw oodles of Penguins. We were warned beforehand by friends to buy some plastic shoe protectors like painters wear and were really glad we did. We were the only ones on our ship wearing them and the only ones not scrubbing the stench off their shoes when back at the ship. I blogged about that trip on my other blog, search Falkland (Island). Or Penguins (or singular).

Liked by 1 person

• Jim says:

Sorry, Sara. Somehow I put this here instead of on Kim’s. I cannot remove it but you are sure welcome to take it off. I really don’t try to go around messing people’s posts up.

3. sanaarizvi says:

This is lovely, Sara! 💜

4. oldegg says:

How the words resonated with me and the friend and relatives that still in touch after so many years. Beautifully written and full of feeling.

5. Marian says:

Oh, this is just adorable. In youth, few things to fear. I think this form is perfect for the sentiments of your poem, and really admire it.

6. Kerry says:

he final line is really perfect!

7. MrsBednar says:

Oh, that childhood bond. When I was young, my dear friend’s parents where everyone’s parents! A very precious thing…

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )