Disappearance of Dawn

Written for:  dVerse, Haibun Monday – “Morning”  (posted by Mish)

Aww yes, the theme I have chosen for this week’s Haibun prompt is “morning”.

Isn’t every morning a miracle?

Do you embrace it or resist it?

Walk us through one of your mornings. Describe a morning routine, a cherished morning memory, an early morning walk or a glorious sunrise. The birds may be singing praises to a clear, blue sky or the fog may have set in. As we all know, not all mornings are wonderful.

Were my eyes blurred by sleep,
and fragments of leftover
dreams? Nothing visible
outside my window. Vigorously
rubbing a circle on the glass had no effect.

Wetlands were occluded by dense white fog.
Mesmerized, I watched it begin to lift
like a curtain, and there, was morning.

a darkness at dawn
an evil omen for day
lifts into light

20 Responses to Disappearance of Dawn

1. V.J. Knutson says:

This sets the stage for a tale to come. Nicely done.

2. Frank Hubeny says:

Beautiful description of that white morning fog.

3. How enchanting, your description gives a clear image.

4. Mish says:

Everything is clearer when the fog lifts…I felt this literally and metaphorically in your prose and haiku. I especially like “fragments of leftover dreams”.

5. kim881 says:

I love the way the curtain of fog lifted on morning – I expected it to take a bow!

6. annell4 says:

I remember that kind of morning on the coast, but today in the desert, mist is rarely seen. Lovely.

7. Fine description here – I particularly liked ‘occluded’ and ‘mesmerised’ in the last stanza – and the final line – the reveal – ‘like a curtain, and there, was morning’

8. Singledust says:

that curtain rising must be a magnificent view after darkness comes light

9. Beverly Crawford says:

I love the foggy mornings of autumn. You describe them beautifully!

10. Grace says:

I love how it is like a curtain, moving the dawn into view and light.

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )