Waiting for the Good Times

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Haibun Monday – “waiting”  (posted by Imelda)

“For this prompt, put yourself in waiting mode. Think of what you are waiting for. What’s happening? How are you as you wait?”

She spent may years waiting for the good times. Lived through
the death of both children. My cousin and her husband
made a difficult choice–give up or have a life.
They chose life, tucking away destruction to their
hearts.

Ten years ago, her husband passed away from Parkinson’s.
Devastation lined her face. After waiting again,
her heart broken into shards of glass, she went on. Bowling,
water aerobics, Mah Jong, etc. She gave to many charities,
and aided neighbors whenever she could. Now my cousin is gone.
Now I am waiting.

choice to give
passion for learning new things
who will continue?

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Waiting for the Good Times

1. V.J. Knutson says:

The choice to go on is a difficult one. Your cousin was very courageous.

2. rothpoetry says:

A great haibun and beautiful tribute to your aunt! Time goes on and we watch the clock tick!

3. msjadeli says:

waiting is woven throughout this offering. subject is very sad but it honors the content

4. Janice says:

Such hard hurdles to overcome. Your story and haiku remind me of my mother in the decades she continued after losing my father.

5. Frank Hubeny says:

Beautiful remembrance of your cousin.

6. Misky says:

This is so touching. Put a big lump in my throat.

7. Grace says:

We make choices in life and that determines where we will go. It takes courage to choose life and give as much as we can.

8. Gina says:

losing those we love pushes us forward or drags us back, so great to read that she pushed forward after so much loss, strong and brave to learn new things

9. To go on is sometimes the harder choice… but often the wisest… maybe it’s taking the first steps that are the hardest.

10. rob kistner says:

I am late to get around reading the haibuns Sara, but I am really moved by what you’ve written! So much loss, but so much tenacity… wow!

11. Imelda says:

Ah, what a story. Your cousin (and her husband) were both brave and generous.
    The subject of this haibun may be sad, but you wove it neatly with your tribute to your cousin. And come to think of it, the last lines of the prose give a different insight to the ‘good times’ referred to in the title.

12. Vivian Zems says:

This a tale of facing life head-on. We were never promised an easy life..and yet, your cousin had a hard deal. Brave…both of them. There’s a lesson in here for the rest of us.

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )