How Are You Awakened?

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Morning Poem  (posted by Sumana)

“Capture the time in your lines when the day is new and you are out of your slumber.
Isn’t it always a good morning whether it’s bright, gray, cloudy or rainy? Or is it not?”

“A monk sips morning tea,
it’s quiet,
the chrysanthemum’s flowering.”— Matsuo Basho

If awakened by chirping
birds, I smile. Must be
a good omen.

If awakened by screaming
garbage trucks, banging
and clanging down the street,
I pull up my covers.

If I open my eyes to slits,
find there is a fog
that sits outside my window,
occluding vision of all
outdoors, I rise, sit
at the window and watch
for fog to slowly evaporate,
and trees to walk out
of the mist.

15 Responses to How Are You Awakened?

1. Sherry says:

I love the image of the trees walking out of the mist. The play of clouds and mist on trees is a source of wonder to me.

2. susanstoo says:

Yes what magic moments–but especially the last one when the trees walk out of the mist.

3. thotpurge says:

love the trees walking out of the mist!

4. Sumana Roy says:

Love trees walking out of mists. Gorgeous image. I also love the smiley, chirping morning. Very much musical.

5. Khaya Ronkainen says:

Some people have beautiful mornings, I tell you. 🙂
    “watch/for fog to slowly evaporate,/and trees to walk out/of the mist.”
    Lovely moments!

6. Rall says:

Covers over the head and the banging of garbage trucks…I can relate to:)

7. Lovely! I really like how you give words to something that we all feel — the first thing that we encounter after waking up should be something positive and refreshing. Also, I loved the romanticism of looking through the window at the trees walking “out of the mist”.

8. magicalmysticalteacher says:

Several different ways of waking…this is lovely!

9. sanaarizvi says:

Oh this is lovely! I love the image of the trees walking out of the mist. 😍

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )