Love Later in Life

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Meeting The Bar:  “Repetitive Forms”  (posted by Jilly)
Your challenge, my fellow poets, is to write a Form Poem that makes use of Repetitive Lines. There are many poetic forms that use repetitive lines and you are certainly not restricted to the five I have mentioned above. Please do let us know which form you are using and if it is not one of these five, share a quick explanation of how the form works and even a link, that others might learn from you!

Love came along later in life
inside the walls of a nursing home.
She had not known such joy as a wife

mismatched as she was with a man of stone.
Encouraged she began painting again,
inside the walls of a nursing home.

It was years since she had a yen.
Colored paints flowed from brush to canvas
Encouraged she began painting again.

Her new love taught her romance had not passed
though they were a source of gossip and envy.
Colored paints flowed from brush to canvas.

They floated on air; days never empty,
knowing how ill each was becoming
though still a source of gossip and envy

His health forced a move, her world was crumbling.
Love came along later in life,
though they knew how ill each was becoming.
She had never known such joy as a wife.

(a terzanelle)

27 Responses to Love Later in Life

1. rothpoetry says:

Beautifully done!

2. jillys2016 says:

This is brilliantly done; the form and the narrative and the images…dare I say… that you paint!!! What a charming post; thank you for sharing this!

3. V.J. Knutson says:

What a sweet story. My mother found love at 82 – they move into the nursing home together.

4. msjadeli says:

a loving companion is a beautiful thing

5. kim881 says:

A touching terzanelle, Sara. How beautiful that they found each other.

6. Beautiful and touching!

7. Sweetly fresh approach to a love poem – enjoyed it very much. Made me cheer! We need to constantly remind this culture of the whole rich personhood of our elders

8. Lona Gynt says:

Nobody is an expert at life because each phase is brand new to us, but there is the basic human spark that longs for connection and union. I love 💕 love💜 this Terzanelle, life repeats as does the form. I am happy they found each other and to hell with the constraints of expectations gossip and envy, and to heaven with two lovers living.

9. Well crafted & very poignant. A moving tribute to the enduring power of love, no matter when it finds us.

10. Imelda says:

So bittersweet a story. The last line definitely had a sadder tone than its first appearance.

This also brings home to me the reality of aging. Oh, how one becomes like a little child again, subject to the decisions of others, once he/she is weakened by age and failing health.

11. Charley says:

Wonderfully done! The way the tale comes in waves… that’s why these forms survive the test.

12. The experience of love coming later is so special… often frowned upon, yet it’s like any love I think…

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )