Keeping Track

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads:  Fussy Little Forms – Puente
(posted by Marian)  Puente is a rewarding form created by James Rasmusson. The word puente means bridge in Spanish, and–naturally–this lovely form features a bridge. It is a simple idea:
Three stanzas
First and third stanzas have equal number of lines (your choice how many)
Middle bridge stanza is one line, encloses in dashes or tildes
Middle bridge stanza serves as last line for first stanza and first line for last stanza

Where has she disappeared to now?
Oh how he worries, especially in crowds.
He scans the spaces over heads once more.

– aging causes worry –

She steps out of a throng of people, smiling,
carrying a shopping bag. Thought you were lost,
he says. On this small street, she says, where could I go?

33 Responses to Keeping Track

Fun, Sara. Yes, but where DID you go? (Remember the old song, “Slap her down again, make her tell us where she’s been … ?”
    When on a tour in China we did have an elderly lady get lost in a shopping bazaar. We all went looking and one of us did find her.

2. Crowded malls can be rather scary during the holiday season, particularly if we go with someone who wonders…

Liked by 1 person

3. Margaret Schaff Bednar says:

It seems to me this shifts from old to young woman. In this day and age both can be very worrisome!

4. kim881 says:

This could be about me, Sara! When I was little I caused my mother great anxiety by disappearing in a large store and now I’m older my husband dreads going anywhere with me because he keeps losing me. I love how you’ve told a story in few words.

5. Kerry says:

The fear of losing someone dear to us manifests in a thousand tiny worries.

6. Oh, that’s so sweet and touching.

7. sanaarizvi says:

This is so sweet and poignant, Sara!💓

8. Vandana Sharma says:

care and love, our most prized possessions!!

9. Marian says:

I love this and feel this quite deeply. Yes yes. Aging causes worry for sure. You are a natural for this lovely form through which your message comes across loud and clear.

This is sad. I think of older people wandering and getting lost!

11. I was relieved when she emerged, smiling.

12. Tender and touching.

13. Losing someone in a crowd is so scary.

14. Helen says:

You described that feeling of panic perfectly and in a difficult poetry form ~~~ wow. I know that feeling well.