Cold Ashes

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – Get Listed:  January Edition
“Choose any 3 words that fit best with mood/theme/personality of your poem
on a topic of your choice:”

carnation               slightly              percussion           balcony           January
deep                        toss                    heat                       snow                wind
gravel                     morning           city                         obvious           pensive
bedside                  bread                clouds                    ache                 poems

I could not reach

chill,

I watched your ashes
be placed
next to your husband’s
and your two children
all gone before.
A whole family of my cousins
tucked
away together.
I carried home
a broken heart,
and the unbearable ache
of sorrow.

12 Responses to Cold Ashes

1. lynn__ says:

My sympathy to you, Sara…a family of cousins “tucked away together” is a lovely phrase.

2. Kathleen Kittleman says:

This touched my heart

3. sanaarizvi says:

I am so deeply sorry for your loss, Sara 😦

4. wildchild47 says:

the image, startling for the words, of a family tucked away together, really contrasts sharply – for it implies a final resting together, somehow comfortably, even perhaps, sweetly, in closeness, and so it plays with our senses, of loss, sudden and sharp and all the immediate feelings we experience –
    this is a fascinating poem Sara, (which I know must sound weird given the circumstances and topic) but the way you’ve presented it, worded it, really is both a fine tribute and explores the concept of death and loss in such a fresh way …

and my condolences to you, for your pain and loss

5. Helen says:

Writing about sorrow while it is fresh in our minds makes for poignant poetry. Be well, Sara.

6. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

tucked away… that is something to fill one’s heart. It is so hard to lose a beloved family member – hugs to you.

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )