January

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Haibun Monday – “January”  (posted by Kim)
“There is an overall feeling of emptiness, which is reflected in the January skies: they are grey, there are no birds and, at the moment of writing, hardly a breeze.”

I walk concrete streets cast in cloud, dotted now by dead
Christmas trees awaiting burial. There they lie, prostrate
amongst plastic garbage pails–their hats blown into the street–
bulging bags of cracked brown leaves, and cardboard boxes
empty of gifts.

January has done its bidding–driven out the old year.
Few wait eagerly for February to take its place.

They hibernate
animals with stores of food
await green Spring

25 Responses to January

1. V.J. Knutson says:

Oh, to be a hibernating species – good illustration of the pre-Christmas landscape.

As animals we do tend to coccoon. We do stay inside, stay warm, and wait for spring.

3. rothpoetry says:

Hibernating with stores of food… reminds me of the chipmunk that bulges his cheeks with food and runs back and forth to the feeder. Love the Haiku… hibernation!

4. Grace says:

Funny how those Christmas decorations and trees become trash or await burial. Love those animals hibernating, awaiting for spring.

5. Maggie C says:

I feel like I’m hibernating, too. Better fate than the poor uninherited trees.

6. kim881 says:

Oh, Sara, your haibun is so downcast, but with a glimmer of hope in the final paragraph and the haiku! I love the description of the ‘Christmas trees awaiting burial’ and the garbage pails with ‘their hats blown into the street’.Hibernating animals have the right idea.

7. Frank Hubeny says:

I like the mentioning of the burial of the dead Christmas trees and the empty cardboard boxes.

8. Kathy Reed says:

True this, time flying by and one season pushing back the previous. Nice haiku.

9. What a bleak depiction of a city street on trash day! Well written haiku … and aren’t we a bit like the animals, our own form of hibernation awaiting Spring!

10. I would love to hibernate too….

11. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

I always leaves me sad seeing the Christmas trees curb-side…

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )