Hanging Shells of Portland

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – “Come Hang With Me!”  (posted by Lillian)
“Walk around your house and look at all the things hanging there: on walls, in closets, on your refrigerator door, etc. Pick something that “speaks to you” and use that as the basis for today’s poem. Do take a photo of it if you can, and post the photo too. Perhaps your poem will describe the object; or share a memory about the object; or let us know why the object is important to you; or why it’s hanging there. Any form of poem is fine; serious or fun or reflective. The key is, we want to hang out with you today and learn about something hanging where you live!”

IMG_20190108_193046282

Threaded together, pink, white,
purple shells dangle on my
bedroom wall. I like to imagine
I am on the beach, shells for
collecting within reach. They match
the shell-encrusted jewelry box
on my dresser. Both items were
discovered on Hawthorne Street
in Portland, Oregon. The store is
an antique-hippie place–jewelry,
beads, incense, candles, and odd
pieces of furniture. Scent of shop
sent me back to the sixties–musk,
patchouli, and my own set of rules.

21 Responses to Hanging Shells of Portland

1. rob kistner says:

I enjoyed this Sara. My wife and I love Hawthorne St., especially the vintage furniture stores, like Lounge Lizard, Hawthorne Vintage, and Vintage Pink. Jackpot Records and Exiled Records are great for vintage vinyl, though I stopped visiting them when I stopped collecting. There are several stores that meet your “hippie paraphernalia” description. From which one did you get your shells? Hawthorne’s “Third Eye” shop closed after 30 years. End of a landmark. Anyway, I did enjoy this post Sara… 🙂

2. lillian says:

LOVE these words:
    “Scent of shop sent me back to the sixties–musk,
    patchouli, and my own set of rules.”
    There is a shell shop in Provincetown that I always love to visit. My daughter, many years ago, was smitten with a shell covered box — she bought it with her allowance and kept all her “treasures” in it.
    Oh yes…..if I had a mobile of shells it would definitely take me back to the beach! 🙂

3. rothpoetry says:

It is great to see how this takes you back to days gone by and the rules of the young and the restless!! Very nice Sara!

4. Kathy Reed says:

Soft pink, purple, and white shells, a great find. I think I know the shop.

5. SMiLes.. Just Thinking About
    Your ‘Purple Pen Trademark’
    Here for i wonder how many Folks (i do)
    You have Conditioned to See you whenever
    they See Purple Print as i did the Similar Thing with
    Public Dancing 10,544 Miles All Around my Metro
    Area in a little Over 64 Months now for
    Wherever i go
    now even
    when i
    don’t dance
    that is rare
    to Never.. Folks
    Smile as Soon as
    i Walk in the Door
    for they Don’t Even See
    me as all they See is Dance…
    For 66 Months as a Shut-in With
    19 Medical Disorders i forgot what it
    Even Felt Like to Smile with Type Two
    Trigeminal Neuralgia From Wake to Sleep
    Like A Dentist Drill Without a Drug to Touch it
    in my Right Eye And Ear.. Funny how it is when
    Folks don’t Understand i F in Hate money for a
    Smile
    is all
    the Reward
    i Will Either Give or Receive..
    It’s All A matter of Perspective
    For Some Folks A Smile iS Heaven And
    For Some Folks A Golden Tower is the Hell they are…
    Hoping they
    Don’t go where
    i went no Doubt
    A Best Place for them
    to Get Out And Dance too..;)

6. kim881 says:

That sounds like my kind of shop, Sara! I love the internal rhyme in the lines:
    ‘…I like to imagine
    I am on the beach, shells for
    collecting within reach.’

7. Frank Hubeny says:

I like the ending thought of being sent back to “my own set of rules”.

8. I really love how the scent takes you on a time trip

9. Scents are so powerful- I love this!

10. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

“my own set of rules”. 🙂

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )