Watermelon Basket

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads:  Just One Word – “Hollow”
(posted by Marian)
“With the new year, let’s try a new weekend challenge here in the Garden. Let’s try allowing just one word to provide a springboard for our poems and see what happens.”

Large oval watermelon–
beginning of Mom’s
fabulous fruit-filled
basket. First step, hollow
out juicy pink melon,
leaving one strip of
rind on top. Mom cut
zig-zag fringe to make
a handle. No one could
hold a candle to the artistry
she displayed. Myriad of
melons were turned
into balls with a scoop, golden
pineapple and small strawberries
added last. Everyone oohed
and aahed at Mom’s glorious
creation. There is a hollow
in my heart when I think of Mom
and her celebrated baskets of fruit.

13 Responses to Watermelon Basket

1. Helen says:

Your poem made me smile and warmed my heart ….

That must have been a beautiful fruit basket. Sarah, your poem triggers memories of Moms really nice. My mom was expected to bring a chocolate pastry rolled, filled with whip cream and frosted with dark chocolate coffee laced frosting. She called it a “chocolate roll.”

3. This is such lovely way to remember — the dual use of hollow works very well. A beautifully emotive piece!

4. Rall says:

I loved this poem. I can see that fruit basket. Lovely.

5. What a beautiful sight that must have been, requiring a labour of love to create. Wow!

6. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

Oh, I agree. Those recipes that can really never be re-created. We have tried and sometimes I think it just must be the love that was infused in them!

7. Marian says:

Ah, I love this!!! It’s perfect, a perfect memory. Love.

8. sanaarizvi says:

This is absolutely perfect! ❤️ Such a poignant and heart-warming memory 🙂

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )