Storm Coming

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – Weekend Mini-Challenge
“Mustn’t Be Fancy”  (posted by Magaly)

“Mary Oliver, that wondrous word-loving mind who just crossed The Veil, said that poetry “mustn’t be fancy.” According to her, “whatever isn’t necessary shouldn’t be in a poem.”

“For today’s prompt, I invite you to write a new poem with Mary Oliver’s words in mind. Let’s craft poetry that wastes no words.”

Storm coming,
they warned.
Panicked people
packed supermarkets
for essentials
like cookies.
They lined liquor
stores in case
they ran out
in the next two
days. We wait.

29 Responses to Storm Coming

1. Helen says:

After living through three direct hurricane hits in 2004, I totally relate!

I saw a painting recently in the style of the Dutch Masters called Waiting for the Storm. It consisted of a gallon jug of milk, loaf of bread, liquor and toilet paper. Your poem reminds me of thst.

3. “like cookies” made me laugh. Mostly because I, too, have found myself slightly befuddled by some people’s reactions to storms.

4. Being a prepper is all about priorities I think… booze and cookies are what matters

5. othermary says:

Haha – I like your priorities!

6. sanaarizvi says:

Hopefully those storms will steer clear from our path. Stay safe! ❤️

7. It’s funny how we panic at the thought of running out of food…….anxious squirrels. LOL. Loved this. Especially the stocking up on cookies.

8. Mike Bayles says:

Sarah, this poem definitely rings true.

9. Marian says:

Two days!!!! You could run out!!

Is this you, Sara? If so you’d best get whiskey for when you wait as well as for riding out the storm. This was a fun piece.

11. It is always the way with news of a storm. Where I live the race to gather is fueled by hurricanes.

12. M says:

I could stand to lose a few pounds, so clean water might be enough for a few days ~

13. Kestril Trueseeker says:

Cookies and liquor are an excellent start. I’d need a little tea too, to start my morning. 😀