Deer

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Climate Change  (posted by Susan)
“So many global statements have been made about climate change ~ both learned and popular ~ that I implore myself and you to do something different in our poetry: Make it personal and specific. Amplify an aspect of the world so that others can see it too. Whatever your politics and moral positions are when it comes to climate change ~ let us see details, the evidence of your senses, your time and your spirit. Make us hear, see, touch your world. “

“Action is the antidote to despair.” ~ Edward Abbey

“Climate change ignores borders, but so do friendship and solidarity. It is time for national interests to give way to the global good.” ~ Dr Saleemul Huq

Image result for pictures of deer

Forests are thinning,
whether by wild fires
or land-grabbers. Deer
appear on suburban lawns
and sidewalks. Situation
at night is treacherous.
Deer have eyes on sides
of their heads allowing
310 degree vision. They look
for clear spaces in which
to cross. Many do not make it.
Aside from Deer Crossing
signs, a new sign states,
“Deer Crash Site”. Breaks
my heart to see this. These
sweet, graceful creatures
have lived in harmony
alongside people in
Nara, Japan for 1300 years.
We need to respect
their right to live.

20 Responses to Deer

1. Marja says:

We indeed need to respect their rights to live So sad that the harmony is gone. Well spoken and great poem These dear creatures can’t speak for themselves

2. susanstoo says:

Ah, yes, the deer. We crash into each other, but theirs, I think, is the greater loss. And we lose their beauty.

3. Therisa Godwaldt says:

Let’s not forget about the caribou that are disappearing, due to the tar sands mining and overhunting by rich American hunting from helicopters, with high-powered automatic weapons.

4. Sherry says:

They are so sweet and beautiful, and the roads so full of speeding cars. So hard for them to keep their fawns safe.

5. Sumana Roy says:

So sad. Humans cannot let any one live peacefully. Be it a deer or an elephant. nicely put.

6. Suzanne says:

How sad to hear of the fate of the gentle deer in your area. I hope people become more aware of their plight.

7. Khaya Ronkainen says:

It is sad, indeed. And you are correct, we need to respect rights of every living creature.

8. Myrna says:

This is so sad. I like that you selected deer to highlight our disregard for animal life. They represent, to me, the sweetest, gentlest part of existence.

9. oldegg says:

Sadly mankind probably thinks it is cheaper to let the animals do what they want rather than provide proper deer crossings. Humanity is quite heartless.

10. Carrie V. H. says:

We certainly have invaded their territory. It is sad, but you have beautifully painted the picture in your lovely poetry Sara.