Experience or Wish?

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Poetry Forms:  “The Rubaiyat”  (posted by Frank)
Basic Structure

A single ruba’i is a quatrain, a poem of four lines. If there is a collection of more than one quatrain, it is called a rubaiyat, This is what Edward FitzGerald titled his 1859 translation of Omar Khayyam’s quatrains

Meter

Fitzgerald chose iambic pentameter, generally 10-syllable lines with alternating accents, for the meter in his translation. The original meter had a longer line of about 13 syllables with possible variations on the pattern of accented and unaccented syllables. Robert Frost’s poem “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” had shorter, iambic tetrameter lines.

Rhyme schemes

The original Persian rhyme schemes were AABA or AAAA. The second rhyme scheme allowed one to think of the quatrain as a double couplet.

Fitzgerald used the AABA rhyme scheme in his translation. The unrhymed B line is a signal for the English-language reader that the form is a “Rubaiyat Quatrain” rather than some other four-line poem.

Having the unrhymed third line allows the poet to optionally use that sound from the first quatrain as the main rhyming sound in the next quatrain thereby interlocking the quatrains.

The purest love that one can ever know
is often elusive except in a poem.
Do poets pen lines hoping truth will ensue,
or are their ideals too lofty to follow.

If personal experience flows in ink,
then sharing lifts spirits providing a link
to those who had given up, to now pursue
a life they have envisioned, a path of pink.

29 Responses to Experience or Wish?

1. robtkistner says:

The eternal question – is it real, or is it poetry. I really liked this Sara, enjoyable to read. l am also having fun trying to decide just what is the meaning of pink… I may be too old to “get it”. I’ve written a couple rubaiyat’s, one is the dark side of love, the other love full of light. I invite you to visit and read – and give me a clue sbout pink… 🙂

2. msjadeli says:

i like the weaving here of power through poetry. poetry is the elixir ❤

3. Frank Hubeny says:

Good point about the purest love needing and being worth the pursuit.

4. V.J. Knutson says:

Poetry encapsulates the fantasy. Good message.

5. Gina says:

if its pink its pretty my daughter used to say and we still go soft when we see this hue. so often a good poet can trick us with their words, an enchantment of sorts. your thoughts come through so clear in the rubaiyat

6. Grace says:

The power of words – I believe that it can uplift and move people to action.

7. A path of pink… (I thought it would be purple for you)…

8. lillian says:

Love the ideas here….the questions. The idea of the poet’s emotions flowing through pen and ink….and perhaps the poet’s words helping others to recognize, identify, and perhaps express their own feelings….seeing themselves in another’s words.

9. Mish says:

Poetry is like a vessel to fill and then share. I think you do that well. 🙂

10. memadtwo says:

It’s true that we discover things we didn’t know when we start to write. (K)

11. I don’t think any poet will argue with that! 🙂

12. merrildsmith says:

It’s true that poetry can inspire or make us think. Nicely done!

13. Very well written. Thanks for sharing! I am a Creative Life Coach and have a poetry blog in case you have time to read? http://www.peacockpoetryblog.wordpress.com and I am also on Instagram as #coachingcreatively, let’s follow each other if you use this medium? Have a good day? Sam 🙂