Birthday Madness

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Haibun Monday:  March Madness  (posted by Merrill)

“Can you believe it’s already March? Well, the calendar says it is, and here the days are growing longer, and flowers are trying to pop up through the ground, even if there’s snow.

In the U.S., there’s something called March Madness. I’m SO not into sports that I had to doublecheck to make certain it’s about basketball. I guess it’s a big deal. Ho hum. BUT, sorry sports fans, that’s not what I want to talk about. I want to talk about spring and nature. Last year, March entered with snow storms, but daffodils were blooming at the end, and it looks like it’s happening again. What madness!”

dormouse2

I rarely feel well on my birthday, in March. True, weather is not
usually in my favor, but that is not the cause. Sometimes I have
reached an age with which I am not comfortable. Not every year,
though.

Could it be that our one special day a year means more to us
than we think or let on? If so, how could that day ever climb
to the spectacular heights we seek.

dormouse is depressed
Spring looks like winter, bare of buds
pot of tea is cold

21 Responses to Birthday Madness

1. Frank Hubeny says:

Happy birthday! I remember thinking that dormouse was just tired, but that’s when I was very young.

2. Suzanne says:

Happy birthday. I have a March birthday too though mine’s already been and gone. It is a funny day when you get older. I found I felt strangely out of sorts but I did share a nice cake in a cafe with a friend. I hope you get to do the same.

3. robtkistner says:

Happy birthday Sara, whatever day in March it may occur. No need to feel troubled by another birthday. Having another birthday beats the alternative – and I am sure that’s the way those who love you feel… 🙂 …fine haibun!

Liked by 1 person

4. merrildsmith says:

Happy Birthday! I suppose birthdays are different as we get older.
    I hope someone makes you a fresh pot of tea, the sun comes out, and you see some hopeful signs of spring.

5. V.J. Knutson says:

Happy birthday. Nice that birthdays bring you joy despite the weather. I feel a bit like that poor dormouse right now, lol.

6. Happy days too. And many happy returns. It’s good to keep on having happy birthdays! Love the dormouse ending!

7. Gina says:

i am a March baby too – happy birthday to you! another year means I get to reflect on much goodness and some madness too!

8. memadtwo says:

I love that last line.
    Time for the happy unbirthday! (K)

9. msjadeli says:

Very well-done haiku, it captures so much. Hoping your spirits get lifted as the weather improves.