English Springer Spaniel

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – Weekend Mini Challenge: Nomenclature  (posted by Kim)
“A couple of Saturdays ago I visited the Natural History Museum in London. Saturdays are always very busy, especially in the dinosaur section, so we wandered into the Darwin Centre, where we found the Cocoon, a huge space dedicated to the collecting and naming of new species.”

“I was intrigued by the ways scientists choose names for their discoveries and thought it would make a nice prompt. So today I would like you to write a new poem about how you named something or someone: a child, a pet, a plant – whatever it is you have given a name, tell us about how it came about.”

Black and white rescue
won our hearts,
an English Springer Spaniel,
her coat a work of art.

Driving home we pondered,
what would be the perfect name?
We watched Fawlty Towers, dog was English–
We called her Cybyl, that grand dame.

18 Responses to English Springer Spaniel

Lovely. I like names given out of love and that shows character.

2. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

Crossing the Mackinaw Bridge in Northern Michigan, we named our puppy after it (after all he was a waterdog … He just passed away- almost 15. We were just in Brooklyn for my son’s wedding… and he is spending part of his honeymoon in Portland! (small world). English Springer Spaniels are gorgeous dogs…

3. Kerry says:

What a lovely name for a spaniel!

4. kim881 says:

I’m a huge Fawlty Towers fan, Sara, and Cybil is my favourite character, played by the wonderful Prunella Scales, who is a Shakespearean actress, together with her husband Timothy West. She’d be delighted with your choice of name for your Springer Spaniel.

5. sanaarizvi says:

Such an adorable name for a Spaniel! ❤️

6. I’m a big Fawlty Towers and Cybil fan too! (And can only say, about such a good name for your dog, ‘Oh, I KNOW!’)

7. Perfect name, and a great model to name her for.

Cybyl was a great pick, Sara. She likely is one of a privileged few to be called Cybyl.

9. Susie Clevenger says:

What a wonderful name. My daughter’s cat is named Colonel Brandon.