Coney Island Turf

Written for:  dVerse Poets Pub – Poetics:  On Geography  (posted by Anmol)
“I am asking you all to explore geography in your poems. There are different ways of going about it — you can explore and inculcate the various subjects that are a part of the study of geography like meteorology, climatology, ecology, environment, culture, population, development, and human-nature relationship; you can write about your city/state/province/region; you can combine different elements and ideas and map out your own geography of who you are and where you stand, etc.”

coney island

Nathan's

Coney Island is constantly
renewing to change/keep its
neighborhood thriving. Hiding
behind the shadow of the ferris
wheel and carnival rides, a minor
league baseball stadium. Down on
street level, a memorial wall stands
dedicated to 2001’s devastating
loss of firemen, policemen, court
officers. Up from the stadium,
take a walk on the boardwalk–games
of chance, food, frozen custard,
souvenir shops–Coney Island
memorabilia. New stands abut
old. Funky look. At the far
end of the boardwalk you can visit
a refurbished aquarium. Several
restaurants have opened, some old
ones gone, but at least, Nathan’s
lives on.

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Coney Island Turf

1. Grace says:

It keeps on thriving or else the businesses will close shop.

Looks like a fun and interesting place to visit specially with the memorabilia.

2. robtkistner says:

Such a classic amusement park. Nice piece Sara! 🙂

3. rothpoetry says:

The geography of Coney Island is rather crowded. I love all the ways you gave us pictures of everything you see there!

4. msjadeli says:

I sense satisfaction in your knowing what it was before and where it is headed. It was enjoyable hearing about Coney Island, an iconic place of geography if there ever was one!

5. sanaarizvi says:

This is so detailed and expertly woven ❤️ I actually felt like I was there! 😀

6. Such a poetic way of providing a tour through the vistas of this place and its many elements. It certainly sounds very inviting. 🙂

7. Beverly Crawford says:

I’ve never been to Coney Island, but you depict it so well I feel as if I’ve had a visit! Nice work.

8. If you come back to a place you know it’s so interesting to ponder the changes… I recognize that feeling.

9. Coney Island has a mythology of its own. You capture the buzz.

10. Frank Hubeny says:

Although I’ve never been there, I like how Nathan’s ties the past with the present.

11. M says:

oh, you returned to NY – it must be a treat to rediscover your old haunts, and depict them so ~

12. shanyns says:

So cool, love the feel of this.

13. memadtwo says:

Change and continuity…a perfect description of landscape in time. (K)