A September Morning

Written for:  Wednesday Muse #9  (posted by Toni)
“I am making this short and sweet: write about an anniversary or several in one poem. Let’s try our best to make this true poetry instead of prose broken into lines. Fireblossom wrote a wonderful article about writing poetry and it woke me up a bit.”

Anniversaries are not always happy,
celebration of sadness does not take place.
In lieu of a cake, which would be tacky,
tears well up, old dragons need slaying.

Our world has changed since that black Tuesday
when buildings collapsed and death took charge.
We all had to learn to live a new way,
searching for loved ones, their faces in collage.

Funerals were held without a body,
and rescuers dug in blinding ash.
Now that truth of health toll is known, we agree,
death of responders grows each year that passes.

Politicians decided, let’s build bigger,
yet, still I see that gaping hole, and shiver.

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to A September Morning

1. coalblack says:

That’s the gruesome gift that keeps on “giving”, giving death, disease and sorrow added to an already incalculable amount of loss. I don’t understand the kind of minds that can deliberately cause so much suffering. 😦

An anniversary that makes my stomach crawl up into my throat, wondering if it will occur again, bigger and worse. You bring that dreadful anniversary to the front again. Thank you.

3. Rallentanda says:

It is the sort of event you remember where and when you were at the time in any part of the world.

4. Carrie V. H. says:

Yes you are right Sara, some anniversaries are not happy ones, and this one is a tragedy that touched so many lives, and took so many! The loss is devastating and needs to not be forgotten. Thank you for this beautiful and heart stirring poem Sara!

5. Regina Phillips says:

A reminder that all comes to an end and that remembrance sends us spiraling, either up or down.

6. Sarah Lea Stories says:

“Their faces in collage.” That nails it!

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )