Where is Peace?

Written for:  Poets United Midweek Motif~Peace  (posted by Susan)
Have you known peace? What was it like? How large a peace can you imagine? How does that change when we imagine peace ~ or create peace ~ together?

Please write and post a new poem, addressing how you know peace now. Make us feel it.

“I went to jail for 11 days for disturbing the peace;
I was trying to disturb the war.”
~ Joan Baez

I wake each day, thin-shelled
fragility shows through
I wait for other shoe
to fall, listen for knell
of dictator from Hell,
and wonder what we’ll do.

My own effort at peace
is to smile at strangers,
be kind, and keep anger
away, though it’s hard to cease.
What sets my heart at ease
is ocean and nature.

If love is the answer,
then hate is a cancer.

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Where is Peace?

1. magicalmysticalteacher says:

Oftentimes the smallest efforts at peace (smiling at strangers, for example) can have the greatest effect.

2. oldegg says:

How hard peace is to come by or retain when rulers world wide think little of democracy compared with their own greed and lust for power. However it is good to see so many poets see the flaws and can write about them.

3. susanstoo says:

Yes–waiting for the shoe, too. But it is possible that those small things we do could blaze across many lands like a turning of tides. Because we are healers. Your last couplet is perfect.

4. I agree with every word. I find peace in nature, but am distressed at the state of the world. Try to catch young Greta’s latest speech on facebook. SHE gives me hope!

5. Sumana Roy says:

You are right. I think we should have our own effort at peace to restore peace in the world. Well put.

6. Marja says:

Yes yes totally agree if we all would smile more, be kind and find peace in nature the world would be a different

7. robtkistner says:

I love your clising couplet, it says volumes Sara!

8. Sara,
    I loved reading your poem with your observations of life and the sadness we face, trying to stem the flow of instances, that make peace a more difficult state to achieve…a tough old world..

9. Truedessa says:

I too find peace in nature and all it offers. All we need do is open our eyes to it’s wonder.