The World Was Not Ready

Written for:  dVerse Poetics:  Cry Me a River  (posted by Gospel Isosceles)
“I want to hear about a piece of music that has made you shed tears.”

This song about Vincent Van Gogh never fails to make me weep.

Vivid swirls of color
do admire.  If you could
have only known
that appreciation
while you were with us.

“This world was never meant for one
as beautiful as you”

This entry was posted in Purple's Home. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to The World Was Not Ready

1. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

I so agree… I have quite a few “coffee table” books of his artwork. This is a very poignant link.

2. rothpoetry says:

Beautiful Sarah! love the song…love the painting and love your poem! Well done.
    “This world was never meant for one
    as beautiful as you”

3. robtkistner says:

Wonderful poem with a wonderful song Sara.

4. msjadeli says:

“Vincent” has always brought tears for me as well. Don McLean paid honorable tribute to a great artist and human being with his song.

5. kim881 says:

I like the way you’ve woven words from the song into your poem.

6. lynn__ says:

Yes…LOVE this song too. Thanks, Sara 🙂

7. pvcann says:

I still remember when I first heard this is brought a tear to my eye. You capture the sadness of his self-doubt so well.

8. It is a wonder that the artist was so ostracized by his contemporaries. For what? A heart too great to contain? Color too vibrant? I don’t think I’ll ever understand it, but Don McLean did write a touching tribute. Vincent is part of that magnificent starry energy now.

9. Mike Bayles says:

I like this poem. I wanted to go to a painting class where we’d paint this painting, but couldn’t. There’s music to this poem.

10. Beautifully penned Sara, I’ve always loved this song and sometimes these stars spend time on earth ahead of their time with so much to teach us 💜

11. Frank Hubeny says:

It would have been nice if he knew while he was with us giving us gifts.

12. lillian says:

test….hope my first comment is published?

• lillian says:

Ah….it wasn’t. Perhaps because I provided a link….so instead of the link I’ll simply suggest that you do a search for Van Gogh’s Starry Night at the Amsterdam Light Festival. You will be amazed! How I wish I could go there to see it! And oh yes….how very sad that Van Gogh could not know the profound effect his art would have on the world!

13. rivrvlogr says:

The music reminds us of the torment suffered by Vincent, and your words compliment it nicely.

14. Weaving this song with the art we remember and love is a great way to remember the pain that he felt.

15. memadtwo says:

He never knew what a gift he had, but the beauty he left will always touch our souls. One of my favorite painters. He felt color. (K)

16. Lona Gynt says:

it is wonderful how the love of one person for another (McClean’s song) amplifies the beauty of the original work, I can never see an VanGogh without feeling the pain so lovingly wrought by McClean’s words. And you have added to it as well. Nice choice, this song often still brings me to tears.