Photo-Op

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – “Get Listed!” with Fireblossom
“Just pick at least three of the words from the list–or more if you wish–and create a poem which includes them. Extra credit: use one of the words in your title. Then link, share, read, step back, do-si-do and feel good about the whole thing.”

Here is your word list, Toads. Get hopping 😉

All that bric-a-brac
piling up around her,
like a rundown shack.
I would love to take
pictures, but that would
make me look smug. Besides,
I have my own knick-knacks
with smidgens of dust floating
across the rug.  Is it fear of loss
as she ages? Once demure,
now slipshod in her ways.
A rendering of her late
husband hangs crookedly
on the green wall where
chipped off paint creates
its own design. Oh, folderol,
she would say, waving
her arms to encompass
the room, should anyone
dare to comment. Is she lucid?
Her memories of how
she acquired each piece
is instantaneous.

This entry was posted in Purple's Home and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Photo-Op

Sara, this is a cool story. The older we get the more like your lady we become. You put aptly, “fear of loss
    as she ages,” for our hording habits. I save containers, i.e., boxes, jars, and bottles.

2. Vivid rendering of an unfortunate woman

Sad. As we get older we lose our memories, gain new ones.

4. oldegg says:

Often we will know more about our treasures, where and how we got them, much they cost, than we can recall yesterday. This is because they are part of the love of our lives that stays with us always whereas today is of no importance.

5. Oh, I think this is an absolute winner – a serious and moving poem from the word list, and a realistic character portrayed.

6. Kerry says:

This is an authentic and intriguing portrait. Great use of the words.

7. Lori says:

Loved the ending. The objects becoming a connection to her memory. Why her home is so filled with bric-a-brac. Almost feels like the narrator has entered her mind space.

8. Wow. I looked at the words and could only come up with lines too foolish to publish. You have created a real poem, and a very realistic character.

9. coalblack says:

I’m impressed! This was not an easy list to use and still keep the list words from seeming crammed in. Yours flows easily. Great job! Btw, a relative once remarked that he didn’t know who had more knickknacks–me or my mother. I’ve got a lot of them!

10. coalblack says:

I think my comment just got eaten. I had said, great job, it’s hard to use this liet and still have the poem read smoothly, but yours does! Btw, I have scads of knickknacks!

11. robtkistner says:

Nice piece about how we hold dearly to some things that remind us of our youth. Well written Sara

12. My mother was a hoarder… and even more when she realized that everything might have a story (that she had forgotten)