A Tug

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – “Poetry begins with a lump in the throat . . .”  (posted by Toni)

The above quote is from Robert Frost. Some of you think I use the quote as a springboard, to write the poem. Actually, the opposite is true. I write the poem and then search out the quote.

Today, I am going to do the opposite. I am going to give you all a quote and let you write a poem from the quote. Oh, and make the poem brief – 24 lines at most. Now are you ready? Get set, go! Write a poem that begins with a lump in the throat, or a belly laugh, or a tear springboarded from your quote. All of the below quotes I have used in a poem I have written.

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”~ Oscar Wilde

The moon tugs at
my heartstrings.
Luminescent, yet
shadowy. If you
are a dreamer,
you live in that
space. Dawn arrives,
and is not always
rosy.

16 Responses to A Tug

1. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

Between the light and the dark, thoughts tangling with each other – and the sunrise doesn’t always reveal the answer you seek.

No the day is not always bright and cheerful. You make that point succinctly and well. Answers, actions, are not always what you want. Thank you for writing so well to my prompt.

3. Helen says:

This is lovely Ms. Purple!

4. Mike Bayles says:

I like this, Sarah. This poem has a good note of reality- it’s not always rosy.

Nice to read. Sara. This is the time to be thinking Moon. Fifty years ago we
    humans, finally stepped on the dirt there. Fifty years ago I was in the NASA Control Center, Houston helping them to get there.
    Last night through the transom the moon looking sooo small, making us wonder anew how we ever could land there, such a small target so far away.

6. I really like this Sarah. I chose this one too!

7. Carrie V. H. says:

I think all dreamers and writers can relate to this Sara. I love the line, “the moon tugs at my heart strings”….Lovely writing!!

8. Vivian Zems says:

If only we could stay in that space..for longer.