Purity of Stillness

Written for:  Imaginary Gardens With Real Toads – “Like Starry Blossoms On A New Firmament in July”  (posted by Sanaa)

“Stillness. There are so many ways to describe it. Something that stretches itself to the most distant mountain-top, where footsteps crunch in the snow or a phenomenon that can match blackness under the blindfold. But Neruda in his poem had a completely different and unique perspective:”  I Like For You To Be Still

in South australia

Imagine my stillness
as a blue glass lake–
clear, serene, peaceful–
where thoughts uninterrupted
float on empty space.

And if you were beside me
at my lake of serenity,
sitting quietly as a gray stone,
would my stillness be compromised
if you were lost in your own reverie.

14 Responses to Purity of Stillness

1. robtkistner says:

I think your reverie would be undisturbed Sara… 🙂

2. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

Some people do ruin “silence”. But I am lucky I have a few who can just sit and take it all in – without the need to talk. (we are usually painting or reading or writing, but stillness and silence is essential for these things)

Let sleeping stones lie. The lines, “lake of serenity, sitting quietly as a gray stone” seemed to be the stillest of still. Gray stones are not very noticeable, they don’t attract much attention and don’t get messed with so much as the shiny ones.

4. Lori says:

Where only the thoughts ripple. That lake of serenity sounds truly peaceful.

5. Helen says:

Each person lost in his/her own reverie results in an even deeper closeness I think. The coming together as ‘present’ enhanced.

6. sanaarizvi says:

This is absolutely stunning, Sara!! ❤️ I love the image “a blue glass lake– clear, serene, peaceful– where thoughts uninterrupted float on empty space,” and the question you ask us at the end 🙂 Thank you so much for writing to the prompt. ❤️

7. Susie Clevenger says:

Together in stillness can make two people draw closer or break stillness into noise